T. Blondi V.S L. Parahybana

Justin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
To those of you who own both a T. Blondi and an L. Parahybana, which one do you like more? And why? I am having such a hard time making up my mind!

monster_bugs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i got both of em, and i like my blondi more because its gonna turn out looking veryyy nice, a velvet coat that i havent seen on any other tarantula. they get larger too. both are just great t's but parahybana's gont have that much to them lookswise IMO, though they are still very good looking spider. i like blondi's body structure more too, and the attitude and apptite. if i were u id go with a blondi... they are just pricyer...

Igor

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
IMHO, L. parahybana is a much better spider than T. blondi. They're better looking, less irritable, occasionally docile, more active, better display spiders, have serious urticating hairs but not as vicious as those of T. blondi, etc. I don't think there is any comparison. Although, the "Goliath" does have a larger maximum size the truth is that large females of both are usually 8-9", maybe 10". Basically they get to the same legspan although the "Goliath" will be a bit heavier and have a broader carapace. L. parahybana are also a lot less expensive. The only thing I prefer about T. blondi is that they start out at about 1" and in a few molts can eat a pinkie. L. parahybana are pretty fast growers, but they start out as mere specks.

Cheers,

Michael

Justin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It really does not matter which one I get now, since I am going to get 2 of both with in the next 2-3 months. But, with The LB I can get one 3 incher and one one incher, with shipping, it comes to $75.00. If I get one 1.5 TB, with shipping, it cost $55.00.

Ishkabibble

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I chose A L. Parhybana over a T. Blondi because I like its more streamlined look. Not that there's anyting wrong with Blondi's... I also would like to put in a good word for H. Minax and P. Ornata as well. I swore I'd never get a Pokey, but I bought one this week and now look forward to getting more Pokeys. My OW collection is equal to or surpasses my NW in quantity, and ya just gotta love those OW's. Especially OBT'S!

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Justin said:
It really does not matter which one I get now, since I am going to get 2 of both with in the next 2-3 months. But, with The LB I can get one 3 incher and one one incher, with shipping, it comes to $75.00. If I get one 1.5 TB, with shipping, it cost $55.00.
That sounds too expensive, IMO, for a L. parahybana. You can get a sling for about $10 and it will be 1" in no time at all (supposedly - my sling didn't get the memo). I'd just get some smaller ones.

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah I would also go for a parahybana, they're more cute

bagheera

ArachnoTiger
Old Timer
IMHO the parhybana is much easier to to keep. Not as delicate as a blondi. Keep them dry, a water dish always full, more crickets than they should be able to eat and they will grow. A month ago I recieved a an lp under 2". It is now pushing 3½" . It has a gargantuan appetite*! It has the same temperment as the blondi, and I think more attractive. I have seen 5" bondis juct wither. It is not a specie I try to keep again. Did I mention that they are ugly ?

*I managed to get the word, "gargantuan" into a sentence! Thanks Elly! :D

Ishkabibble

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Justin, I don't know where you shop, but you can get LP slings cheap if you shop around. I got two 1" slings 2 months ago for $6.00 (each) U.S. They're now around 2-2 1/2" now. Go to a rep-herp-spider show if possible. Botar usually has some good deals if he's present. These shows are always around, especially in the summer months.

Justin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well I think I am going to take every ones advice and get a few L. Para slings for cheap. Thanks for all the great answers!

Joe1968

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
yeah just get both, L. parachybana are cheap you can get them at $8 maybe less, T blondi goes for $40. for some reason, T. blondi are fascinating to wacth, their very impressive but mean. L. parachybana they get as big but kinda leggy not as beefy as the T. blondi IMO.

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Joe1968 said:
yeah just get both, L. parachybana are cheap you can get them at $8 maybe less, T blondi goes for $40. for some reason, T. blondi are fascinating to wacth, their very impressive but mean. L. parachybana they get as big but kinda leggy not as beefy as the T. blondi IMO.

I agree, if you can afford it, get them both.

-Mattyb

8 leg wonder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
bagheera said:
IMHO the parhybana is much easier to to keep. Not as delicate as a blondi. Keep them dry, a water dish always full, more crickets than they should be able to eat and they will grow. A month ago I recieved a an lp under 2". It is now pushing 3½" . It has a gargantuan appetite*! It has the same temperment as the blondi, and I think more attractive. I have seen 5" bondis juct wither. It is not a specie I try to keep again. Did I mention that they are ugly ?

*I managed to get the word, "gargantuan" into a sentence! Thanks Elly! :D
T.blondi is not an ugly sp. they are large velvety beauties, and they have a bit of an attitude to boot. I love mine, I think it's great.

8 leg wonder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Joe1968 said:

BEEFY is cool, I love the fact that my Blondi is robust(for lack of a better term) and still has an appetite.

bugguy1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I myself have both spiders and there are perks to both of them. The L. parahybana are fast growers and get big. I think they are very attractive, especially after a moult, with long hairs. They are very easy to keep and need little in the way of special care. The T. blondi also get huge and grow pretty fast. They have a great bulky look to them and also are very attractive, especially after a moult. They do need extra care though and to be honest, I have heard everything from keeping them with very high humidity to little humidity. I have encountered some other issues with blondis : on more than one occasion I have had an adult lose both of its fangs. I also had a male, after its final moult, just up and die on me for no apparent reason, even before it's skin fully dried! If you can get both I would highly recommend it...just keep in mind that more care and attention will be needed for the blondi . GOOD LUCK!

The Juice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've never owned a T.Blondi, but the L.Parahybana is alot easier on your pockets. I bought my L.Parahybana @ 1" for $6.99 at a local petstore.

bugguy1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You're absolutely right...how could I forget the huge difference in price? L. parayhbana is certainly the bargain...HUGE spider but not huge money!

Jmadson13

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've got a couple of juvie parahybana and an adult T. blondi; I like both but would also recommend L. parahybana. Cheaper, easier to care for and less irratable as stated previously.

Washout

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I like T. blondi a lot more personally. Faster grower and much better appearance. How hard is each species to breed? Are T. blondi's difficult?