T. Blondi hissing for no reason?

Tyrannosaur

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Mine is by its water dish just hissing pretty loudly. Its moving it's front legs around like it would be cleaning them, but he is not. He is doing it quite a bit, hissing loudly for 3-5 seconds.

He has always been vocal, hissing every time he gets startled or going for a cricket. Just his personality or something else?

Euronymous

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My experience with Blondi's has been that they are goofy as hell. However, you mentioned he/she is doing this at the water bowl. How is the humidity in the enclosure? Goliath's are swamp monsters.

Tyrannosaur

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
70-90% It fluctuates. I have the peat moss saturated with water, but the top 1" or less is dry. If the top layer is wet mold grows really quickly.

If I mist the cage it goes up to 90%+ but only for hours.

Euronymous

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thats sounds about right. I had strait peat for a while...props on the dirt. Is anything pissing her off? Blondis are weird man. See if she is still doing it tomorrow, maybe more people with respond with some extra input anyway.

Tyrannosaur

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well I changed its cage a few months ago. Usually the night I do that she walks around her cage trying to get out. She did this the day before she started hissing again, but this time more so. She was going crazy trying to get out! Then she calmed down and stayed outside of her hide by the water dish lounging around and occasionally hissing like I mentioned. I only heard it maybe 1/2 a dozen times. Now she is back to normal, and ate a bunch of little crickets.

I know they can be weird at times, but never new they would hiss like that without any provocation.

Tony92

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Is anything bothering her such as people walking by in next room causing vibrations picked up, or something like doors slamming causing noise or any slight draughts across tank, blondis are very fickle & the slightest of things bother them.

JimPP

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Is it cleaning its mouth often, it _could_ be nematodes/infection aswell, symptoms would be

*T constanly in or near waterdish
*Rapid cleaning of fangs/mouth
*Annoyed restless (annoyed explains hissing)
*Constant or higher level of webbing

Try looking at its mouth, if possible take a picture.

OR your blondi is just pissed at the world for the moment, that is just as likely.

Last edited:

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Are you listening to music or television? Anything that would make a vibration from the sound? That could cause it. I have a number of blondis and I can't think of a time when they hissed without a reason.
Maybe your blondi is irrititated or hungry.

Tyrannosaur

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
No to all of those. It's quiet and I leave him alone.

As of right now he is doing it again. He is walking around his cage trying to get out and hissing in the process. He is not standing still and hissing like he was before, a few days ago.

JimPP

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Still... Pic of the tank and the mouth would be interesting to me. Else the behavoir is just plain strange, and could be written off as that, IME.

JimPP

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah, nice looking T! - No sign of parasites from the pictures... so my conclussion, it basicly hates the world.

Tyrannosaur

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
"he" is only 6-7" legspan now. I am pretty sure "he" is a she but I'm no expert, and should get a picture up of his last molt.

I have a habit of calling all of my spiders "he"