T.Blondi Handeling

aracnophiliac

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I am a farliy new aracnid collecter. I have Been colleting for 3 years and have a chillian rose and a colbalt blue and a brazilian bird eater and costa rican stripped knee but i reacently aquired a T.Blondi and it is said that they are generally noy handeling tarantulas but my T.Blondi seems very docile and was wondering how to go about seeing if i am able yo handel her.How do i Tell if she will let me handel her befor putting myself in danger?

Thompson08

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
First, If you are going to handle a tarantula, you must take it out of its cage before handling. Next make sure it isn't being aggressive (kicking hairs, threat poses etc.) If it is being docile and everything then I guess if you want to hold it then knock yourself out, just be ready to be very itchy afterwerds {D

Alex080

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
but my T.Blondi seems very docile and was wondering how to go about seeing if i am able yo handel her.
UM don't she may not bite you but will kick some hairs that will teach you a lesson all my BLONDI's are off limits no touching they are known to have the worst hair they kick and will bite if they feel threatened enough so IMO don't even try it but if you do let us know how it goes {D I'm telling you won't go well either she will kick hair or bite either one is painful but the hairs will give you the worst itching that you'll never forget

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I am a farliy new aracnid collecter. I have Been colleting for 3 years and have a chillian rose and a colbalt blue and a brazilian bird eater and costa rican stripped knee but i reacently aquired a T.Blondi and it is said that they are generally noy handeling tarantulas but my T.Blondi seems very docile and was wondering how to go about seeing if i am able yo handel her.How do i Tell if she will let me handel her befor putting myself in danger?
Like Thompson sais, they itch like pure hell for days after. If you dont mind tha, then go ahead, and remember to take it out before you attempt handling. Just be aware that both Blondi and Apophysis has a bad temper many times, and it will certainly be a moment to remember for you if she decides to bite you;-)

Dont trust her being docile, the tend to be very unpredictable.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No worry with the venom, but I itch just opening the thank.

A rule to set would be to always introduce your fist to touch, because a single finger felt alone has a taste and texture very similar to many prey items, especially pinkies. A fist would immediately go into the "to big to be food " category. You should use the search function for the many safety advices (handle low over a cushioned surface, move very slow) and remember that T usualy dislike being lifted up in the air, and might5 react negatively.

Robert Jordan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
How do i Tell if she will let me handel her befor putting myself in danger?
Wouldn't that be convenient?

Not to be obnoxious, but please consider this:

Handling is a selfish activity. T's don't need affection. T's don't want to be shown off. There is no benefit to them at all, only risk. When one handles, one is asking for trouble. By handling you are always putting yourself in danger. That's the way it goes.

I handle sometimes, but I accept that whenever I do there's a real possibility of getting hairs or a bite. As a responsible keeper, the tarantula's safety should be your first priority. For many people this means no handling at all. I feel the same way but sometimes like to take risks. Contradictory? Yep. ;)

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
cake walk

Handling T blondis is no big deal. The first time I handled Rob's it was hissing at me before we got it out of its enclosure (any T will be 100% more defensive on "its turf"). Once out I let it settle down for a bit in the thing we had it in then took off the lid, tilted it a bit, and it strolled right down into my hand. Easy. DO wear gloves, preferably ones that go a good way up your arm in order to prevent itching. Rob is highly sensitive to blondi hairs but does just fine with gloves on. We're not talking about handling highly defensive old worlders here (not that you can't do that as well). You'll do fine.

--the nature boy

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Handling T blondis is no big deal. The first time I handled Rob's it was hissing at me before we got it out of its enclosure (any T will be 100% more defensive on "its turf"). Once out I let it settle down for a bit in the thing we had it in then took off the lid, tilted it a bit, and it strolled right down into my hand. Easy. DO wear gloves, preferably ones that go a good way up your arm in order to prevent itching. Rob is highly sensitive to blondi hairs but does just fine with gloves on. We're not talking about handling highly defensive old worlders here (not that you can't do that as well). You'll do fine.

--the nature boy
Me and matt handled her with no problem....I have a 11" blondi and once it molts and is hardened I am sure me and matt will hold her.....rob

wsimms

Arachnodaddy
Old Timer
I agree with Rob and Matt. Just get her in a cup and get her on the floor before you try to handle her. I also would advise feeding her the day before.

BTW, I handle mine without gloves, but she does make me itch a bit. Just be sure if she kicks a cloud of hairs they don't float into your eyes, and wash your hands immediately afterwards. I made the mistake of rubbing an eye after handling mine. The opthalmologist pulled 7 hairs out of my cornea. It wasn't fun-like having sand in your eye that you can't wash out.

Atreyuhero4

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
also i would keep it close to the ground and over somthing soft it wouldent take much of a fall to hurt these giants

wsimms

Arachnodaddy
Old Timer
also i would keep it close to the ground and over somthing soft it wouldent take much of a fall to hurt these giants

Amen to that. My other blondi fell 5" out of her plastic palm tree onto the edge of her water bowl and died.:(

aracnophiliac

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I Did It.....but

Well I did it and its not that bad . i Had a harder time getting her back in to her Habitat than it was to get her out and handel her the only issue im having is that she always wants to climb up on to my face and sit by my mouth

aracnophiliac

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
:? She never bit me or flicked any hairs at me but when i tryed to take her out she initally hissed then climbed right on my hand:?

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You can lead a horse to water...

:? She never bit me or flicked any hairs at me but when i tryed to take her out she initally hissed then climbed right on my hand:?
Um...Not to be a jerk, but did you read what we all posted in this thread? You cup and remove a defensive T from its enclosure before handling it. Sticking your hand in there--into its turf--is a 100% guarantee to eventually get bit.

--the nature boy

fang333999

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Um...Not to be a jerk, but did you read what we all posted in this thread? You cup and remove a defensive T from its enclosure before handling it. Sticking your hand in there--into its turf--is a 100% guarantee to eventually get bit.

--the nature boy
seriously? ive prodded my h mac out of its enclosure with my bare hands while blowing on it to coax it out. it only jumped at my face (out of skittish nature) :D

Aarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Good Luck... {D

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
seriously? ive prodded my h mac out of its enclosure with my bare hands while blowing on it to coax it out. it only jumped at my face (out of skittish nature) :D
Lol. That sounds like a great plan, Brandon. You keep up with that. :)

--the nature boy

wsimms

Arachnodaddy
Old Timer
Um...Not to be a jerk.
--the nature boy
Since when did you stop being a jerk?:D

I agree with you. Cupping is the way to go, unless you enjoy the feel of T. blondi venom coursing through your veins or want to see one eventually go splat.

aracnophiliac, until it happens, you cannot believe how strong a T. blondi is when it decides it wants out of your hand. If that hand is 4 feet off the ground, go ahead and break out the paper towels to clean up the mess and the shovel for the funeral.

fang333999

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
for those of you who couldnt tell, i was joking. but yeah i havent seen my h mac in a week, it made a burrow and sealed itself in. how awesome. to the OP, good luck with that method of handling for next time ;P