T. blondi climbing glass?

BigBadConrad

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't think I need to worry about a 6" female T. blondi climbing the glass, do I? I'd rather not fill 2/3 of the 10 gal. with substrate if I don't need to.

Thx,
John

Last edited:

manville

Arachnoking
Old Timer
you dont have to worry about it until it falls lol...i would put more substrate just in case it falls

T-Virus

Arachnopeon
I have a 6.5" female and I added alot of substrate. when I put her in the 10 gal tank I had it filled about 1/3. well she tried to find a way out and in doing so I watched in horror as she fell from the screen top. so I added 1/3 again the substrate. Worry over!!!
And let me tell you the time I had adding substrate with her in there already:eek:
This is a before adding substrate pic.

BigBadConrad

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
damn

Thanks for the tip. I didn't think these fat a**es could get vert like that. Crap, time to bust out the peat and potting soil again LOL.

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That was a misconception I also had. I thought that the larger spiders, or those described as terrestial, or burowerers were not capable of climbing like that. However, they typically prefer not to... big difference. The only spider I have that has never climbed the glass at all is my a seemani, and my g. rosea. My obt was the best and fastest glass climber of the all, but has now burrowed about 6" (I am relieved)

defour

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Re: damn

Originally posted by BigBadConrad
Thanks for the tip. I didn't think these fat a**es could get vert like that. Crap, time to bust out the peat and potting soil again LOL.
The one and only spider I've lost due a fall was the first T. blondi I ever had. She was about the size of yours. Needless to say, my cages are very dirt-intensive now. I don't even give a full legspan of climbing room to the larger examples of Theraphosa, Grammostola, Brachypelma etc. The risk just isn't worth it.

Steve