T-Blondi and mites

Ladycolt29

Arachnopeon
Ok. We discovered mites. Realized the Canadian spagmum was not put in microwave to prevent this months ago. We don't leave left over's in the tank. It's in a 40 gallon breeder tank with lots of substrate to burrow. It has a vine bought at pet store to hide under. The vine is like a small log. We put one end going down into the substrate and the other end looks like a cave. The T-blondi loved it and burrowed under this. WE just found these mites last week. We didn't do anything because she was getting ready to molt. She stopped eating maybe two months ago and just turned dark maybe two days before finding the mites. She's about 7/8 bigger than a family size can of soup. We didn't want to stress her out by trying to move her just before she molted. We know Blondi's have alot a molting issues. She molted Friday after lunch. When we came home at 6:00 she was still on her back getting the last of the molt off. She took a long time to flip over. She did it in the doorway of her log cave. The shed was removed after she flipped over and moved away just by a hair. She's had several days to harden. Should we try to move her and clean out the tank or is there another way? The B.F. has to feed her still, not sure if he did that yet since the molt. What's the best thing to do for her since this was so close to a molt? She's still not moving alot just stretching. We can't tell yet how much bigger she got with this molt. She's pretty aggressive, so we don't bother her alot. We just watch her walk around when she's out and admire her. Since the vine was put going into the substrate she says in that most of the time unless it's feeding or water. I'm thinking she will be retreating to the vine soon. Any insight on how to handle now that she has a new set of hairs to throw? Especially if you all think she needs to move while we redo her tank!

metallica2501

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
let her be for another week in the mean time try to dry out the tank as much as possible. then capture her and clean out the tank. microwave all the substrate or place in the oven at 300 degrees with alot of water. bake this for about 2 hours and u should have no mites after that. also wash out the tank with a very mild beach/water solution and rinse it very very well. dry it out completely. when u place the substrate back in the tank wet it then let it dry before u wet it again, this cycle should prevent mite problems.

Ladycolt29

Arachnopeon
Thanks,for advice.

I have one quick question. I was looking a post from the picture threads. The person mentioned the red by the fangs. Our Blondi had red like blood on hers too. My 9yr asked the soon to be ex. B.F. about it and he said it was blood. I thought T blood was clear! Side note the mans moving and I offered to let the T stay if he can't find a place large enough for him to take it. I told him I can help care for it and he can stop by to help with it. Then once he's able to he can come and get her. I've been the one buying the bottled water and crickets mainly so no big deal there. I'm just sick of caring for healthy able body adult man!

metallica2501

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
as far as my understanding of tarantulas goes, when they molt they have white fangs. i have seen some with red. this is definatly not blood as t blood is clear and is called hemolyph. i woud not worry about it too much unless is a fang is broken. see how she fares and offer a cric two weeks from now when shes completly hardened up. good luck. how big is she by the way

Ladycolt29

Arachnopeon
I just posted some pics on the gallery.

I believe one is from before Feb. 06 the other is July/Aug 06. Both not very good pics. They were with camera phones. I have to get a bendable ruler and try putting that in her tank when she comes out. But she is a big brat! She hates it when Ron cleans the tank and gets the left over particles of prey out or even changes water. She will charge his hand! She has thrown hairs twice at him. She will do the threat stance and let you know to get out. He takes a soft object like the eraser of a pencil and knudge her away so he can mist or whatever. She can move very fast when she wants, So can Ron! Lol!