T. asthenes info.

InfestedGoat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I cannot find any good information on T. Asthenes. I know they need moderate high temps with 70-80% humidity.

What I cant find is:

Do they need anything specific? ie. verticle hide?
What is their lifespan?
How big do they get?
I've seen some that are like a brown color and others that are pitch black. Any reason? Is it gender related?
And really anything info you think I should know. Maybe pictures of enclosures, or substrait. Do they need a mix of sand and peat moss?

Or do they just need to be housed like any other Tityus?

Thanks!

tarzan2day

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
They get like 4-5 inches (of awesomeness), and I keep them just like the other Tityus, vertical hide, good ventelation, I think they just keep getting darker as they mature.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
iWhy did you buy a species you know so little of? Given the lack of information, do you know that this is a highly venomous species?

Coloration has nothing to do with gender in this species. Coloration can vary, this is called intraspecific variation. What Tarzan said also applies a bit, when scorpions grow older they tend to get darker. They can grow up to 9-10 cm, keep them on humus (no need to mix it with anything). They can live up to 4 years....And yes, they need vertical structures, because they molt facing down to the substrate 9 out of 10 times.

Be carefull with your new scorps and have fun with them....

Last edited:

InfestedGoat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I haven't bought one yet. I was making this thread to get some info on them BEFORE I buy it... o_0

Thanks for the info though. What size tank will I need?

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I haven't bought one yet. I was making this thread to get some info on them BEFORE I buy it... o_0

Thanks for the info though. What size tank will I need?

Good for you! Then disregards that comment please:D

I keep adult pairs in 20x20x20 cm (8x8x8 inches), larger groups in larger enclosures.

InfestedGoat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh they're comunal? Is it okay to just keep one? Or do they do better in groups? (also, if you have pictures of enclosures, I'm sure people that will search t. asthenes years from now will also appreciate it)

Frédérick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
scorpions don't need other ones around... when you learn a species is communal it means that they tolerate each other to varying degrees, but in no way (to my knowledge) a scorpion would need company.

Good luck!

Fred

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
scorpions don't need other ones around... when you learn a species is communal it means that they tolerate each other to varying degrees, but in no way (to my knowledge) a scorpion would need company.

Good luck!

Fred
Exactly :) Only some species show gregarious and "social" behaviour,but even in these species, things like cannibalism do occur. So "communal", "social" etc etc are all relative. It is always okay to keep one scorpion, but T.asthenes can be kept in pairs (excluding the period prior, during and after birth) or in a group of 2 females and a male. Females are mostly more tolerant towards each other, than males.