T Apophysis MM ?

Phil Hall

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi all , I recently sold a job lot of T's and the new owner believes that the T.Apophysis is a Mature Male. I disagree but would appreciate some input please.
This T is about 18 months old, about 6 inches LS . Is it true the apoph and Blondi MM do not have Tibial Spurs or is it just the Blondi?. I am just concerned that this T will be sent off to breed with a Female way too soon.
Here is a pic of the T, taken 4 weeks ago.
The new owner believes that this T has hooks/spurs.
Thanks in advance !

Last edited:

KenTheBugGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
if I remember right

I think the Apophysis does get spurs actually if I am remembering correctly. Can you get a better pick of its pedipalps and post it as that will make it easier to tell also...or maybe a ventral shot?

Pokerplayer

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
True....Apohysis is the one that gets spurs and only blondi that does not.
The spider looks pretty slim 4 at goliath female and could in my mind therefore easyly be a premature male.

But a mature male....hmmm...dont think so.
Cause i cant really see any boxinggloves on the pedipalps.
But as the above says, we would need a picture taken from the side and up close 2 be sure.,

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Don't MM Apohysis turn a purple color?

Phil Hall

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Cheers Guys , unfortunately the T has gone and I have no more pics.
I had a MM Blondi a few years back and he was nearly double the size of this guy. Apparently the new owner is going to take the Apophysis to a local show and will get a second opinion.
Thanks !
:clap:

Pokerplayer

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Cheers Guys , unfortunately the T has gone and I have no more pics.
I had a MM Blondi a few years back and he was nearly double the size of this guy. Apparently the new owner is going to take the Apophysis to a local show and will get a second opinion.
Thanks !
:clap:
Well...the size can differ because of many things.
But its true....it is PRETTY damn small.
Thats also why i dont think its mature, before i see those boxinggloves :)

But the "second opinion" sounds like a good idea.

But he could also send u some pictures himself, and then u could post them in here?
Just a thought :)

Pokerplayer

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Why yes, they can...

Hmm...are u 100% sure about that??
I have only seen them being "coffeebrown.

Im only asking because i never hear ppl discusing that, when the talk about the difference in T.blondi and Apohysis males.
The always only talk about the lack of spurs in MM Apohysis and never anything about some purpleness.

I would think it could only be one thing.
Eather brown like blondi or purple.
But u might be right...i just havent seen it.

michaelcb

Arachnopeon
theraphosa apophysis

i don't think that theraphosa apophysis turns purple as a mature male. i looked at that photo and it seems to be a pambhobeteus nigricolor. those are uniquely sexually dimorphed. look it up ;)

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
i don't think that theraphosa apophysis turns purple as a mature male. i looked at that photo and it seems to be a pambhobeteus nigricolor. those are uniquely sexually dimorphed. look it up ;)
Pamphobeteus is how you spell it , and Im well aware the ultimate males turn purple. Alot of Phormictopus, Xenethis and Pamphobeteus males turn purple as well as T. apophysis. But thanks for the lesson.

Welcome to the boards, there's alot of info on here. Go look it up;)

Later, Tom

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Hi Pokerplayer,

Im only asking because i never hear ppl discusing that, when the talk about the difference in T.blondi and Apohysis males
Including my post it was mentioned 3 times in this thread.

The always only talk about the lack of spurs in MM Apohysis and never anything about some purpleness.

I would think it could only be one thing.
Eather brown like blondi or purple.
Becuase color is very rarley used as a taxonimst tool. Although if two sp. look exactly alike, but one lacks something important like the spurs, its safe to say its a seperate sp.

Too stay on topic, the spider in question is not a mature male.

Later, Tom

Last edited:

Phil Hall

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for your input guys, especially Tom. I'm hoping for a few ventral shots from the new owner. Hopefully he will be corrected at the show, after a few more experienced people give their opinion. I'm a little peeved that someone would think I would knowingly sell a mature male without me orthem knowing about it. But in all fairness the new owner is not overly upset , my main worry is that he is/was planning to send the T out for breeding. I managed to stall this and know await the news from the show.
I'll update this thread with any news.
Thanks!

Phil

Pokerplayer

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi Pokerplayer,

Including my post it was mentioned 3 times in this thread.

Becuase color is very rarley used as a taxonimst tool. Although if two sp. look exactly alike, but one lacks something important like the spurs, its safe to say its a seperate sp..

Too stay on topic, the spider in question is not a mature male.

Later, Tom
Besides u, i only see one ASKING if it isent true the turn purple.
So thats why i wanted 2 make sure.
But u convinced me and i thank u 4 that :worship:
I just bought a sling myself a week ago, and therfore wanted 2 be 100% sure.