Systematic revision of Brachypelma, new genus described.

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
Thank you! Fantastic!

That first "tl" is throwing me, though, because it seems like the "tl" letter combination is pronounced very differently in the Nahuatl language (like a breathy "l"?) than it is in other North American indigenous languages (it's difficult, like a breathy "tl", almost ""cl" sound).
Which I think means I'm doomed to pronounce double wrong, some crazy how. lol

I feel like I should start practicing it or something. lol

Thats how my mind understood after I saw the link

So, the letters Tl in Nahuatl language is pronounced as the word clue, without the letter C, so kinda like "lue", lol. Based on that, it'd be probably sound something like this: "Lue eel toh cah lue"

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I can just see it now: the arachnologists are gathered around their findings and research, discussing what the new genus name should be:

"So what do you think?" says Oscar Francke.
"I dunno" replies Jorge Mendoza. "The hobbyists haven't been giving us a hard time lately."
"But they did throw a big fit over B. hamorri."
"True, true. Maybe we'll just throw em' a big curveball just for that. Teach them that you don't critique arachnologists when their working."
"Ha ha, yeah. What should it be? Something exceedingly long or impossible to pronounce?"
"I'm thinking along the lines of impossible to pronounce; Chilobrachys jonitriantisvansicklei just got described, and we don't want to come across as copying. See if you can find something that works in the local Aztec language but doesn't exist in the English language. That'll show em'".
"Just the English-speaking hobbyists then? What about the European and Asian hobbyists?"
"No, the Germans and the Poles have been pretty good about keeping up to date, its the Americans who keep complaining. As for the Asian hobbyists, we can't make everybody's life difficult now."
"Good point. Let's get looking."

And thus Tliltocatl was born. Practically unpronounceable in English, it continues to haunt hobbyists to this day...

Thanks for sharing @The Grym Reaper! Time to go relabel those enclosures.

Arthroverts

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
I have 4 (8 individuals) names to memorize.

T. vagans
T. albopilosum
T. schroederi
T. sabulosum

Now we really need revision for both the Phormictopus and Pamphobeteus genus.

ShinyTurd

Arachnopeon
Good thing Boehmei is still brachypelma, I just created a label and stuck it on the terrarium hahahaha

Nickjuliaschick

Arachnopeon
I just read about this, and I do have a question. When a genus is changed like this, how long does it take for everyone to transistion over to the new name. I am still relatively new to this hobby, and I still see C. Versicolor sometimes listed as A. Versicolor. Is it best for hobbyists, breeders and vendors to list the new name only, or list with both names on it? I sure it's best to do the official name, speaking from experience and only being involved in the hobby for about 3 or 4 years now. I do get confused when I see names that have changed or listed with two names. It was just a thought that popped in my brain. Better to list both so people learn what it changed from, or completely abandon the old genus.
Thanks

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
I just read about this, and I do have a question. When a genus is changed like this, how long does it take for everyone to transistion over to the new name. I am still relatively new to this hobby, and I still see C. Versicolor sometimes listed as A. Versicolor. Is it best for hobbyists, breeders and vendors to list the new name only, or list with both names on it? I sure it's best to do the official name, speaking from experience and only being involved in the hobby for about 3 or 4 years now. I do get confused when I see names that have changed or listed with two names. It was just a thought that popped in my brain. Better to list both so people learn what it changed from, or completely abandon the old genus.
Thanks
This name changes are valid to science. Most hobbysts (I believe) decided to follow it and change their labels too. However, there are few that decide to keep their old names, sometimes, just because they dont accept the change (which, tbh, wont matter at all for science purposes).

That said, the time to "transition" is up to you. It'd be better if all keepers followed these changings, but this is utopic, imo.

Feral

Arachnobaron
Thats how my mind understood after I saw the link

So, the letters Tl in Nahuatl language is pronounced as the word clue, without the letter C, so kinda like "lue", lol. Based on that, it'd be probably sound something like this: "Lue eel toh cah lue"
Right?! *sigh*

Tliltocatl. Hmmm...

I took the page to mean it's just the breathy "l" in "clue", without the vowel sound attached. Then, at least as I interpreted it, it says the "i" would be a long e sound, the next "l" and "t" would be the same as English, then I think the "o" is a long o sound, then the "c" is hard and the "a" is like an "ah" sound, and then the last "tl" would be that breathy "l" with no vowel sound.

Something like (^ denoting the breathiness): ^leel toh kah^l
As far as which syllable is accented... :dead:

P.S. according to that page, we're all pronouncing "axolotl" terribly wrong. Uh oh!

volcanopele

Arachnosquire
I have 4 (8 individuals) names to memorize.

T. vagans
T. albopilosum
T. schroederi
T. sabulosum

Now we really need revision for both the Phormictopus and Pamphobeteus genus.
Still waiting on that Lasiodora revision...

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Thanks
It doesn't matter what scientific name is put onto pet trade specimens as long as everyone knows what is being talked about. The science of determining tarantula evolutionary relationships/ taxonomy and the hobby of keeping tarantulas as pets have nothing to do with each other.

pps

Arachnopeon
Shouldn't scientific name be pronounced always with latin rules?

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
Placing an order! Just completed my Brachypelma collection

Brachypelma albiceps
Tliltocatl epicureanum
Another G pulchripes
Aphonopelma calchodes
Acanthoscurria geniculata (possibly still makes me a little nervous lol)

Also really glad I don't have to change my name to Tliltofan! Kinda hard to pronounce lol!

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
Nope, there are also names that come from greek. Thats why the right ways to called a species name is binominal names or scientifica names and not Latin names.

Feral

Arachnobaron
I hope not. It'd seem pretty white-privilege to Anglicize an indigenous name.

But no, that's not the case. It's just that a whole lot of binomials happen to be Latin.

[edit- oops, @Arachnid Addicted was quicker on the draw! lol]

Last edited:

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
The forces of my Brachy army have been officially divided....'sigh'. Had 11 Brachy species, I now have 6 brachys and 5........Tlilts? Tliltys? Tliltties? Whatever, I've got 5 of them.

Feral

Arachnobaron
I'm kinda bummed I can only read the abstract.
I don't even keep those species, but I was curious... Particularly about the specific physiological reproductive differences used to differentiate and also I wanted to try to find out where the name Tliltocatl came from. And I can't find that answer. Does anyone know specifically why that word was chosen, other than just the vague "named from the language of the native people of the area in which the species live"...? I wanna know what the word actually means and why it was chosen.

pps

Arachnopeon
Does anyone know specifically why that word was chosen, other than just the vague "named from the language of the native people of the area in which the species live"...? I wanna know what the word actually means and why it was chosen.
"The genus gender is masculine. The name is a noun in apposition comprising the Nahuatl words Tlil, which means ‘black’, and tocatl, which means ‘spider’, referring to the black coloration of species in the genus."

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
I'm kinda bummed I can only read the abstract.
I don't even keep those species, but I was curious... Particularly about the specific physiological reproductive differences used to differentiate and also I wanted to try to find out where the name Tliltocatl came from. And I can't find that answer. Does anyone know specifically why that word was chosen, other than just the vague "named from the language of the native people of the area in which the species live"...? I wanna know what the word actually means and why it was chosen.
I made a story on Instagram talking about that, it means Black Spider. However, I share this info from another account.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
Tlitocatl: ll-ilt-o-k-ah-ll
The beginning and ending 't' is silent.
A guy on the Book of Faces has posted a video with a pronunciation in it, presumably from a Mexican instructor. The way he pronounced it sounded like "Tlilt-a-cotta", so there was a pronunciation of the T's, which I wasn't expecting based on the pronunciation guide.

So I'm confused again!