surprise babies- need halp fast!

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have three adult H. longimanus in a large enclosure that I got about three weeks ago. the two females looked VERY fat and heavy, so I assumed they were in premolt. well, I get home today and decided check up and feed the animals and give them water, and I soon discovered that one of the girls popped with what seems to be about 20 babies! Big, fat, white little guys all clinging to her back. It looks like the other girl may give birth too, as she now has white spots forming under her now VERY dark skin that seem to be the shape and size of the others babies. how do I care for them, because I wasn't expecting ANY of this and I'm leaving for six weeks in two weeks. I need detailed instructions to give the pet sitter on how to care for these guys, when to seperate them, etc. I also have no idea how to care for them either!
Someone help me soon because I'm freaking out!

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
As the obscure recent cliche` goes, "....post pics, or you made it up."

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
should I seperate the mother with the babies from the others and keep her in a smaller container until the babies molt to third instar? then move mommy out and put the babies in another tank? I don't know what to do because since I am leaving soon, and I have an unexperienced pet sitter taking care of the babies while im gone, I need to make it as simple as possible. maybe I should move the mom to a ten gallon and keep her in there until the babies go to third instar, then move her out. how long does it take to get to third instar?

---------- Post added 06-09-2014 at 07:31 PM ----------

As the obscure recent cliche` goes, "....post pics, or you made it up."
ugh fine. *grumbles* http://imgur.com/a/BddWC

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wait a minute, isn't that photoshopped?, jk. Did you spend much time looking into IDing that thing? There is so much confusion over IDing longimanus here in the US at least, even with pdf documents and other diagrams to look at. They usually get mixed with spinifer. But I know, it's cool whatever it is, good luck with the babies.

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Wait a minute, isn't that photoshopped?, jk. Did you spend much time looking into IDing that thing? There is so much confusion over IDing longimanus here in the US at least, even with pdf documents and other diagrams to look at. They usually get mixed with spinifer. But I know, it's cool whatever it is, good luck with the babies.
it was sold to me as longimanus, and as I am not a scorpion expert, i'm not going to question it!

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
it was sold to me as longimanus, and as I am not a scorpion expert, i'm not going to question it!
That's a good reason "to" question it, there are no experts on Heterometrus selling these things in the US. Dealers are spread pretty thin and move things out, not very worried about the ID. If you ever get curious, you could post better pics for some ID help and narrow it down if you wanted, or did you already try that ..I might have missed it. I know though, priorities ...baby survival!

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
That's a good reason "to" question it, there are no experts on Heterometrus selling these things in the US. Dealers are spread pretty thin and move things out, not very worried about the ID. If you ever get curious, you could post better pics for some ID help and narrow it down if you wanted, or did you already try that ..I might have missed it. I know though, priorities ...baby survival!
when I get this baby thing settled out (GSA8 I'm still thinking about your offer hehe!) I will be sure to post an ID thread to figure these guys out. meanwhile I'm working on the babies!

GSA8

Arachnopeon
Just let me know, no big deal either way, no expectations, just glad to help a fellow hobbyist!

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
So anyone who breeds scorpions can you answer this for me: can I set up a small ten gallon and move the mother in there so she's out of the communal and then move her back when the babies leave her? It will also be easier to move the babies there as they are already in the nursery and I won't have to hunt for them in a huge tank. Would this work or would it be too stressful?

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
So anyone who breeds scorpions can you answer this for me: can I set up a small ten gallon and move the mother in there so she's out of the communal and then move her back when the babies leave her? It will also be easier to move the babies there as they are already in the nursery and I won't have to hunt for them in a huge tank. Would this work or would it be too stressful?
I have come to the conclusion that I will move her when her babies molt for the first time in to the newly setup tank so that they are more capable of fending for themselves in case something goes wrong. hopefully this works and it's safe to move her. if anyone thinks this is a bad idea tell me, but otherwise, I'm going for it.

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
latest update, the babies left the mothers back. of the original thirteen born, nine survived. when should I start feeding them? would dubia babies be okay? please reply fast people.

female two has now given birth.

Last edited:

Desert scorps

Arachnobaron
Your lucky you had babies lol when my emperor scorpion was gravid she didn't make it :( idk why I kept humidity up and fed her once a weeks and gave her water but anyways good luck with the babies