Suprise V. spinigerus babies

cmack91

Arachnopeon
So I bought a 2 inch V. spinigerus from LLLreptiles at an expo on 10/13/2012. I havent checked on her in a couple days or so and my friend goes and looks at the critters then comes out saying my scorpion has babies on her back. After making sure he isnt screwing with me i run in my room and see her in a new burrow with at least a dozen scorplings on her back. After a moment of sheer excitement, i realized i have no idea what to do now. I know not to bother her and i read on here to bump the humidity up after about a week. But other than that and to wait for them to come off on their own, im not sure what to do. I plan on keeping them on coco, but how moist should it be for them? Should i leave a dry area? Any advice would be appreciated.

Ludedor24

FangzTv
Old Timer
Sounds like you are getting the basics down. After they molt in to 2i, about a week or two later they will start to come off the back. At that point you can divide them if you would like. Always keep the babies slightly more damp than adult would be. When mine had babies I sprayed one corner once a week and that worked out pretty well. This species is pretty slow growing but are neat. Best of luck with your new babies!

cmack91

Arachnopeon
Thank you. Im just keeping my fingers crossed that she doesnt eat them all.

vukic

Arachnopeon
They're social I think so providing she's well fed it should be an issue..

Tiger

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

KDiiX

Arachnobaron
A scorpion won't eat babies because of hunger. If they eat them there was an other reason then that they weren't well fed.

cmack91

Arachnopeon
Well they started molting today (6/26/2013), and it looks like there are anywhere from 15-20 or so. Seems like a small brood but I'll take it :). Now I'm just hoping they all make it.

vukic

Arachnopeon
:-o where's the pics.. Lol.

Tiger

vukic

Arachnopeon
Brilliant.. I want some!! Lol..

Tiger

ahxean

Arachnopeon
First of all, leave the mother alone with the babies. It should be fine.
The mother sometimes will eat the babies is either to replenish energy or weak scorpling is identified, it is very normal.
If you want to feed the mother, make sure your feeder is already disabled and put nearby the entrance, if not the disturbance of the feeder will make the mother eat the scorplings.
I would say keep the substrate little more damp than usual.
The scorplings will take 4-7 days +- to leave the mother's back, I am not sure if this species is communal, if they are not, separate them into each container.

cmack91

Arachnopeon
Update- I've been pulling them out over the last three days as they've come off the mother, pulled the last ones out yesterday. Total count is 16. I have them all seperated in 2 ounce ramekins on coco with a plastic leaf for a hide. I plan on switching them to sand after they hit 3rd instar.

The mother ate a mealworm about three days ago, and she took another one yesterday after I destroyed her cage sifting through the dirt for lost scorplings. She immediatly made a new burrow in the newly compacted substrate and seems to still be acting like she has babies on her back. She is eating though and I saw her drink from her dish too.

Everything is going good, so now all I have to do is figure out which ones I'm keeping vs. selling.