Suggestions on Brachypelma smithi?

Ethan Henderson

Arachnopeon
Hi, I have a sub-adult b.smithi, and I bought it on July 10th. It hasn't accepted food since, is extremely skittish, and won't burrow. It really prefers to be above its hide. Soil is bone dry.

The shop I purchased it from said that she was feeding every week, although I was sceptical as the clerk who took payment was timid, and wouldn't go near her. So he was either not sure, or had nothing to do with her.

I've kept her under the same conditions my G.rosea and Euathlus sp red, with coco fibre substrate, a small petre dish with water thats been dechlorinated over night or longer, with a hide. Humidity is at 60% and the temperature is room temperature at 75.2 faranheit (UK South West temperature-no heat mat).

I'm just wondering is this natural, or am I doing something wrong, or does anyone have any suggestions. My rosea and euatlus are regular feeders.

Attachments

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Forget about humidity numbers -- dry substrate is fine and your room temp is fine -- if you're comfortable -- they should be also. Make sure your substrate level is high enough that distance from substrate to tank top is 1.5 X DLS (diagonal leg span) of your T -- to prevent nasty falls which might rupture rump. They like a hide and require a water bowl.
Adults don't burrow as much (in captivity) -- yours may or may not dig a small trench under its hide.
Not eaten: It's rump looks healthy enough -- maybe it's not hungry, maybe it's pre-moult, maybe it's still just settling in.

Should be an enjoyable T for you -- gorgeous pix!

Ethan Henderson

Arachnopeon
Forget about humidity numbers -- dry substrate is fine and your room temp is fine -- if you're comfortable -- they should be also. Make sure your substrate level is high enough that distance from substrate to tank top is 1.5 X DLS (diagonal leg span) of your T -- to prevent nasty falls which might rupture rump. They like a hide and require a water bowl.

Should be an enjoyable T for you -- gorgeous pix!
Yeah I've always kept at minimum half tank covered by soil, this one was even climbing when I bought her.
I find it ironic that I was warned about chilean roseas yet she is like the perfect tarantula, while this b.smithi is the quirkiest tarantula I've ever met/worked with. (I've worked in petting zoos, zoos, and educational establishments for reference).

Thanks for the advice, and I know we shouldn't have favourites, but Itsy feeding is my favourite spider and pic I've got

Attachments

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Maybe she will eat for you soon... I adore feeding my Ts and watching their 'take downs' of prey.
G rosea is a favourite here also. :)

Ethan Henderson

Arachnopeon
Would you recommend a specific time to wait? Like offer monthly for this skittish one?
I don't want to add more pressure or fear for its enclosure by constantly 'entering' it and bringing in food that it'll be scared of?
I just can't believe the reputation the G rosea have by some people, yet she's my easiest one.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Nothing wrong with offering a feeder to new guy every 2 weeks or so -- and removing it if rejected.

My G rosea had incredible appetite until she'd had enough... then mine fasted 14 months. Now I feed her much less often.

Ethan Henderson

Arachnopeon
Nothing wrong with offering a feeder to new guy every 2 weeks or so -- and removing it if rejected.

My G rosea had incredible appetite until she'd had enough... then mine fasted 14 months. Now I feed her much less often.
Thanks, I'll start noting the calendar

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Her abdomen isn't too small so you've got time. Slow-growing species can go months without eating as long as they have constant access to water. Have you tried different feeders or just one? Also you can try leaving a pre-killed prey item in and see if she'll scavenge it. Remove it after 24 hours to avoid mold and attracting pests.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
G porteri are either angels or demons. And sometimes switch randomly between the two.

Ethan Henderson

Arachnopeon
Her abdomen isn't too small so you've got time. Slow-growing species can go months without eating as long as they have constant access to water. Have you tried different feeders or just one? Also you can try leaving a pre-killed prey item in and see if she'll scavenge it. Remove it after 24 hours to avoid mold and attracting pests.
I've only tried roaches, but I was considering that may be the problem. Ill pick up some crickets or something today.
I didn't know you could leave them to scavenge, I know my slings fine with that, but didnt think an adult could. Thanks

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I've only tried roaches, but I was considering that may be the problem. Ill pick up some crickets or something today.
I didn't know you could leave them to scavenge, I know my slings fine with that, but didnt think an adult could. Thanks
Sometimes they will, sometimes they won't. But it's worth a shot with stubborn eaters.