Suggestion to the Admns of this site..

Kuroth

Arachnopeon
I am new to T's and love this site.... I was thinking there are so many names and Letters and stuff that a newbe feels lost at first... There is this Lucid Dreaming Web site I found and they have a lot of names and words that newbes dont know but what was cool is that every one of these words or letters that were assumed to be known by the 'Advanced' members but not the Newbe, it would like Hyper-Link the word in any post.. So when you mouse over that word it would pop up a box with more info on what that word means and is... For example if someone created a message here where they said "I am really liking my beautiful P. Regalis" P. Regalis would be Red and if you mouse over it a Box would pop up and tell you like the common name and any other basic Info..

Another Example.. For the first 2 weeks here I could not really figure out what OBT, GBB was..... LOL

Anyway just an idea and :rolleyes: I am not sure how this other web site did it.. Might have been a feature of the Forum software they were using..

clam1991

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
this would make it so no newbies would post questions that have already been answered!
and it would be quickl!

nice:D :worship:
please arachnoboards
give it as a birthday gift!!!

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thats would require a ton of work, just do some research or read the faq

hairmetalspider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I agree.

It's a seemingly awesome idea but with a few seconds more you could easily find out with a little research, and it will probably stick better.

Kuroth

Arachnopeon

Yea it would take some work but would not have to be done all in one day... Another Idea I just had is it would be cool if Users could add to it and even write them.. Kind of like Wikipedia...

Kid Dragon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ArachnoWiki

Yea it would take some work but would not have to be done all in one day... Another Idea I just had is it would be cool if Users could add to it and even write them.. Kind of like Wikipedia...
Actually that is a really great idea, ArachnoWiki, and have the Users do all the work. Wouldn't it be nice to provide newbies with a single link for almost everything?

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Keep in mind that the admins and owners of this site do it all for free in their spare time. The kind of stuff you're talking about is major work although it may seem simple on the surface. It's a nice idea and all but may be asking more than you realize.

And honestly, all the people that have been here a while and are answering the tougher questions started out as noobs themselves. There are tools in place that can be utilized to learn anything you need to know. Why should somebody who's already given a large amount of time and effort to make this place work expend MORE time and effort (again, for free) so the new kids won't have to? Now if you have the necessary skillset and are volunteering YOUR time for this, well that's another story...

I'd consider myself fair-to-middlin' on the experience/knowledge curve but I assure you I learned about 90% of what I know about inverts right here by using the search engine, reading old posts, asking questions and participating in discussions. Try it, it works great.

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Keep in mind that the admins and owners of this site do it all for free in their spare time. The kind of stuff you're talking about is major work although it may seem simple on the surface. It's a nice idea and all but may be asking more than you realize.

And honestly, all the people that have been here a while and are answering the tougher questions started out as noobs themselves. There are tools in place that can be utilized to learn anything you need to know. Why should somebody who's already given a large amount of time and effort to make this place work expend MORE time and effort (again, for free) so the new kids won't have to? Now if you have the necessary skillset and are volunteering YOUR time for this, well that's another story...

I'd consider myself fair-to-middlin' on the experience/knowledge curve but I assure you I learned about 90% of what I know about inverts right here by using the search engine, reading old posts, asking questions and participating in discussions. Try it, it works great.
Well stated I must say:clap:

barabootom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have a couple of websites as a hobby and I make some decent change off them. Here is one...http://www.spanishspanish.com What's being asked is a LOT of extra work. The keepers of this site put up with a lot already just policing the site and keeping it going. I have kept T's for a long time but I haven't been on these boards all that long, so I don't know all the lingo. But when something interests me I figure it out. I think that's part of the fun and it really doesn't take all that long. The suggestions are nice but why do so many people want everything spoon fed to them? Just google your question and you'll have an answer in minutes to most anything.

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have a couple of websites as a hobby and I make some decent change off them. Here is one...http://www.spanishspanish.com What's being asked is a LOT of extra work. The keepers of this site put up with a lot already just policing the site and keeping it going. I have kept T's for a long time but I haven't been on these boards all that long, so I don't know all the lingo. But when something interests me I figure it out. I think that's part of the fun and it really doesn't take all that long. The suggestions are nice but why do so many people want everything spoon fed to them? Just google your question and you'll have an answer in minutes to most anything.
Awesome site, Thanks:D

Jeri

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Many web browsers have a Google or Yahoo! search engine right in the comand bar at the top. If I have a question about a word or comment that is in a post, and I don't want to leave the thread to use the search here, because I'm still reading, I open a new tab and paste the word in the search engine and let it search while I read. That way, I still have my question in front of me when I finish so I don't forget to look it up, and have a list of answers ready when I am. On top of that, if you want more specific info from this site, the reminder is there to put it in this search engine.

And yes, I have been here for a few years, but I still find things that I need to look up. There is just too much information for any one person to keep track of, and even if many people worked on the link project, there are too many new discoveries and taxonomy revisions and corrections to keep up with.

I'd just encourage the newbies to keep learning on their own as well as gaining knowledge from this site. After all, the day we stop learning is the same day we stop breathing.

Something that may be helpful, less time consuming, and still something members can do to help people learn for themselves would be to add a new open link under the Arachnoboards Information category on the front page. Maybe call it Reference and Research Help. Here can be listed reference sites (such as http://www.atshq.org) and maybe ideas for research methods (like the one I listed above).

Just an idea,
Jeri