Suggestion for new T

winwin

Arachnoknight
Hey guys, I've been away from the hobby for a while, and though i didnt really lose all the Ts, my parents are taking care of them while im out for work, I only have an OBT and Marshalli right now. Well, I want a good display T that has chunky legs and nice colors are a plus too, I have a few in mind but I wanna see what you guys can throw at me. :)

Tongue Flicker

Arachnobaron
B.albiceps or S.calceatum has stocky legs.

For colors, i guess a C.fasciatum or a B.boehmie

cold blood

Staff member
B. Boehmi, A. Geniculata, B. klassi, or a GBB, to name a few I like.

prairiepanda

Arachnoknight
If you've got the money for it, X immanis! (or pretty much any Xenesthis sp.) Great colours, nice chunky limbs, and always visible! A geniculata would be a great choice if you're low on cash, as they do also stay out in the open. Genics don't have the colour you seem to be after, but they are very pretty. N chromatus would have more colour to it, but *some* of them can be reclusive.

plasticfaye

Arachnopeon
I'm going to second the B. albiceps, klassi, or boehmi. They are all attractive and not terribly reclusive. I can't comment on Xenesthis behavior, but they are lookers, that's for dang sure! =D

Might have to get myself one.

winwin

Arachnoknight
Thanks for all the replies guys. On top of my head, im considering B. boehmei, B. auratum(someone's bugging to trade my obt for 1), B. smithi, B. emilia, and I am also considering A. genic. Of those listed, I have never owned or seen auratum and emilia so I wanna know if they have chunky, short legs or long, thin ones. Long and stocky legs are okay but I don't like long and thin ones. :p

Ohhh and I'm also considering B. annitha but they rarely get sold here. Also, it might be important to say this will be displayed at our store, the store isn't a noisy one.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks for all the replies guys. On top of my head, im considering B. boehmei, B. auratum(someone's bugging to trade my obt for 1), B. smithi, B. emilia, and I am also considering A. genic. Of those listed, I have never owned or seen auratum and emilia so I wanna know if they have chunky, short legs or long, thin ones. Long and stocky legs are okay but I don't like long and thin ones. :p

Ohhh and I'm also considering B. annitha but they rarely get sold here. Also, it might be important to say this will be displayed at our store, the store isn't a noisy one.
Well emilias are great. If you google the species you'll see.

cold blood

Staff member
Of those you are considering, A. Genic by far grows the quickest, unless you buy an adult a brachy will take a long time to mature, especially Smithi....Genic prolly has the best appetite as well..get the biggest...they're stunning, too.

winwin

Arachnoknight
By the way, forgot to mention that Ts grow fairly fast here in the Philippines because of our weather, my 2cm boehmei before reached 4" in a year.

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
I thought GBB were obligate borrowers and were more like pet holes?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk
You're confusing a GBB with something else.... GBB aka Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens is a terrestrial/semi arboreal heavy webber and are often on display in my experience.

lucarelli78

Arachnosquire
You're confusing a GBB with something else.... GBB aka Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens is a terrestrial/semi arboreal heavy webber and are often on display in my experience.
cool, thanks for the correction

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

winwin

Arachnoknight
I had a gbb before, it never hides, it's always out in the open. Colors are awesome too, just that it's too small. :(

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Display + chunky legs....hmmm. Somehow that combination makes me think "not really possible", since most with chunky legs are burrowers and hence not often out in my opinion.

On the mentioning of display:

Euathlus spp. (rarely ever hide, also very beautiful)
Acanthoscurria spp. (same as Euathlus spp.)
Avicularia spp. (most of mine are out often and visible - though that varies from what I read / experienced myself)
Nhandu spp. (often out from what I hear from friendly breeders over here)
Lasiodora spp. ('nuff said)
GBB (mine hide as slings all the time, but as adults are out often)
Brachypelma spp.
Grammostola spp.
Xenesthis spp. (though I don't have personal experience I hear they're pretty much always out, too)
Thrixopelma spp.
Homoeomma spp.

JZC

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Theraphosa stirmi? Huge, huge spider. Did I mention that they are big? And pretty?

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Actually, I forgot those and the Pamphos :) Though I don't know how much of a display T they're really - no experience with either.

winwin

Arachnoknight
Again, thanks to everyone for contributing to the thread. I'm really glad this forum is full of people with good information(and are not hostile), I'm contacting a few people and negotiating to get either, emilia, smithi, auratum, pulchra or boehmei. Could be any one or combination of them. But i'm leaning towards emilia since I never had that and if I get emilia, I'll probably throw in a boehmei or I could get 3 slings, boehmei, emilia and pulchra for 1650php(around $38), but I prefer sure female since it's for display. But if anyone else has a better suggestion that also fits the description, pls feel free to post. :)

cold blood

Staff member
wow! bohmei, emelia and pulchra for that cheap...I wish I had your options. In the states you'd only get maybe one of those slings for that price....and not pulchra, they are around$50 by themselves without shipping! You lucky dog, get em all!!

maybe even add a GBB of N. chromatus if I were in your shoes. :)

Or if you can find A. bicoloratum, beautiful and hard to find.

Last edited:

winwin

Arachnoknight
wow! bohmei, emelia and pulchra for that cheap...I wish I had your options. In the states you'd only get maybe one of those slings for that price....and not pulchra, they are around$50 by themselves without shipping! You lucky dog, get em all!!

maybe even add a GBB of N. chromatus if I were in your shoes. :)

Or if you can find A. bicoloratum, beautiful and hard to find.
Hehe yeah, Ts are dropping in price here, but do note those prices are for slings like tiny slings, 1-3cm. :) with regards to getting many, I'd prefer to get only 1 but I'll go 3, tops. It's a space issue and since I no longer am in the tarantula hobby, this is only for display. :)