Sufficient ventilation?

Lumina

Arachnosquire
I purchased three enclosures for my Ts. Two arboreal and one terrestrial. But I'm a little iffy on the ventilation. The arboreal enclosurese have a pair of holes drilled into two sides of the lids. And the terrestrial one has a pair on two sides of the top of the enclosure. I bought the enclosures specifically designed for the species types so I would imagine I shouldn't have to drill more myself. I don't keep the humidity high in any of the enclosures, but I'm still concerned that there isn't enough airflow getting in. What do you guys think?

Attachments

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Call me paranoid if you want, but i would add like 10 times that many.

(for avicularia sp, right)

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I would definitely add more ventilation to all the enclosures. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Lumina

Arachnosquire
I would definitely add more ventilation to all the enclosures. It's better to be safe than sorry.
Yea, I'm going to drill more myself. Sigh. Now I have to go buy a drill. The reason I bought them was do that I wouldn't have to drill the holes myself -____-

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Yea, I'm going to drill more myself. Sigh. Now I have to go buy a drill. The reason I bought them was do that I wouldn't have to drill the holes myself -____-
A 'dremmel' tool can probably work too. might be a little cheaper, not sure...

Also poking with something hot. If the slings are big enough not to get out of the holes, a soldering iron is my go to hole maker.

Lumina

Arachnosquire
A 'dremmel' tool can probably work too. might be a little cheaper, not sure...

Also poking with something hot. If the slings are big enough not to get out of the holes, a soldering iron is my go to hole maker.
I was able to use a large needle with a hot tip to burn holes in a plastic vitamin container, but it was pretty difficult. And that was only thin plastic. These enclosurese are thick acrylic. I don't have a Dremel tool either. I'm just going to pick up a cheap drill *shrug*

AnObeseHippo

Arachnoknight
Yeah, I’d add way more. This is the M. robustum enclosure (terrestrial) I set up last night. Hopefully it gives you an idea of how many holes you should have.

When in doubt, air it out!

And also a bonus overexposed picture because I’m happy that in the last hour or two it decided it was gonna start burrowing :)

Attachments

Lumina

Arachnosquire
Yeah, I’d add way more. This is the M. robustum enclosure (terrestrial) I set up last night. Hopefully it gives you an idea of how many holes you should have.

When in doubt, air it out!

And also a bonus overexposed picture because I’m happy that in the last hour or two it decided it was gonna start burrowing :)
Nice, now THAT'S ventilation! Lol

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
For an arid terrestrial it would probably be fine, but not for a T that requires moisture or Avics.

Lumina

Arachnosquire
For an arid terrestrial it would probably be fine, but not for a T that requires moisture or Avics.
Very true. That's why I've been keeping the humidity super low in the arboreals. I'm still going to add a few more holes to the terrestrial one too though

Mojo288

Arachnoknight
I was able to use a large needle with a hot tip to burn holes in a plastic vitamin container, but it was pretty difficult. And that was only thin plastic. These enclosurese are thick acrylic. I don't have a Dremel tool either. I'm just going to pick up a cheap drill *shrug*
Soldering Iron is your best friend, I never really liked using a dremmel or drill, its always such a pain (cracking the plastic).

Attachments

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Soldering Iron is your best friend, I never really liked using a dremmel or drill, its always such a pain (cracking the plastic).
I'm the opposite, I hate using soldering irons.

There's a knack to drilling plastic/acrylic without cracking it, you have to go high speed and use very little pressure.

boina

Lady of the mites
There's a knack to drilling plastic/acrylic without cracking it,
Exactly. If you are absolutely hapless when it comes to using any kind of tools (like me) you will have ruined a hell of a lot of enclosures before you ever develope that knack. I'm very happy to have discovered the advantages of a soldering iron. Even I can make holes now :wacky:.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Exactly. If you are absolutely hapless when it comes to using any kind of tools (like me) you will have ruined a hell of a lot of enclosures before you ever developed that knack. I'm very happy to have discovered the advantages of a soldering iron. Even I can make holes now :wacky:.
I spent a short while researching what bits to use and the best methods for drilling acrylic and picked it up almost immediately which is kinda surprising given that I'm basically a partially-shaved gorilla with lead hands :rofl:

Lumina

Arachnosquire
I spent a short while researching what bits to use and the best methods for drilling acrylic and picked it up almost immediately which is kinda surprising given that I'm basically a partially-shaved gorilla with lead hands :rofl:
Fortunately, I had a pretty easy time with the drilling. No cracks! :D
I thought it was going to be a complete catastrophe hah.