Successful B. jacksoni molt :)

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
about a month or so ago I posted about an unsuccessful molt that ultimately led to the death of one of my B. jacksoni's. As this was the first time any of my scorps have molted while in my care the result was slightly discouraging. As a precaution I seperated the remaining four jacksonis in case any of the others were nearing a molt to reduce the chances of cannibalism, even though I keep them pretty well fed.

Two mornings ago I staggered out of bed as is customary for me to do at 6:30AM and did my usual cursory check on my pets. OBT, there...A. seemani, there...H. arizonensis, still in buried in hibernation...S. mesaensis, in there somewhere...B. jacksoni's, WHOA! To my complete surprise one of the jacksoni's had molted overnight and was a brilliant orange. The other thing that really caught my eye was how much wider it's tail had become...i'd say almost twice as thick :D (well, maybe not quite that much). I took some pics of it next to it's shed skin for size comparison. I will post them as soon as my gf brings me the USB cable so I can download them...I love her new camera, takes some pretty good macro shots, something my camera can only dream of lol

Now it's easily the largest of the four, I think it was one of the females (one of which had given birth to some underdeveloped scorplings a short time ago). Going to keep them seperated until the other three molt, after which they should be mature, or have just one more molt to go.

TheNothing

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
haha
congrats!

I remember a similar surprise when i discovered my S. mesaensis molted last month... hadn't seen him for a couple weeks, so i lifted the water dish he was hiding under at that time and WHOA! there were 2 of them! :D

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
sweet...another one JUST got done molting, just waiting on the other two now :) guess the other one just wasn't meant to live (chela, legs, lower half in general was stuck in the molt)...but this is encouraging! i have pics, just need to resize them but photoshop wont install on my computer right now...

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
hi
picsizer is a good re-sizing tool!

google it, and it comes up straight away :)

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
must've lost the 2nd set of pics...but here's the best pic of the first molt

click on it :) even better cuz i'm not the one who spent $400 on a digital camera, but i still get to steal it, er, use it :D