Substrates

Stemmy101

Arachnosquire
I'm just wondering, are there any specific substrates that you like (holds structure for burrowing, not too loose, doesn't dry out at the speed of light)? I currently have my T. Vagans on coco fiber but I don't really like it too much so I'm thinking of switching when I do my next rehouse. It seems like it doesn't hold shape too well, I don't really like the look of it, and I think my T might have an issue with the texture as well. Any thoughts?

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My local pet shop sells something called creature soil that works pretty well. That being said I've been using Coco coir and peat for years and it's not given me too much trouble. It does dry out pretty badly but if you don't let it get bone dry it will rehydrate well.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
many like topsoil. I tend to mix coco with moss at times, give it more structure. Others mix far more items than me with great results as well. Some have used excavator clay too for certain species.

gabrielgartner

Arachnosquire
50% top soil mixed with varying amounts of coco, peat, spaghnum, sand, charcoal etc for most. The heavy clay in the top soil I get is spectacular at holding burrow shapes even when dry…

KaroKoenig

Arachnobaron
Topsoil/leaf mulch collected from a deciduous forest. Sift out the larger pieces of rotten wood and anything larger than a small pebble, then into the tank it goes, together with anything that lives in there. No further treatment.

Tried coco fibre - sucked. Tried mix of coco fibre with other substrates - sucked. Tried pet store-bought substrate - not good enough for the price. Not gonna use peat for environmental reasons. Went self-collected at some point and never looked back.

Only recommended for small collections. Shouldn't strip a patch of forest and not allow it to regenerate itself.

MJInsoCal

Arachnopeon
I'm thinking of switching from / add on top of coco fiber. Most of my T's as they have grown no longer seem to like it, and seem to want to be on top of anything but the coco fiber. I like the stuff because it doesn't mold, or stink.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I use a mix of topsoil, sedge peat, and fine vermiculite.

It holds its shape brilliantly (even when it completely dries out), it retains moisture really well, it's pretty mould-resistant IME, and it looks great.

DustyD

Arachnoknight
I have used Creature Soil in the past and really like it. More recently I have been using the Biodude's Terra Aranea. It is more expensive but really good.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Doubt your tarantula has any issue with it, cocofiber does hold structures quite well (even tho others say it doesn’t) even when dry as tarantulas reinforce it with silk. But I’ve used just straight cocofiber, straight peat, mixture of cocofiber and vermiculite, mix of cocofiber, vermiculite and sphagnum moss, and now I’ve been messing with cocofiber mixed with reptisoil and vermiculite as my local pet store was out of another bag of cocofiber. In the future I’d like to mess around with topsoil (but need to test out a good brand and winter isn’t the best time to go so) and a good ABG mix (for vivarium).

ChaniLB520

Arachnosquire
I've seen folks use green moss in some enclosures - anyone know what brands they are using or where to get it? I've seen things like it in hobby shops and even reptile sections of pet stores, but I wonder about the vibrant green color and any dyes that might be included.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I've seen folks use green moss in some enclosures - anyone know what brands they are using or where to get it? I've seen things like it in hobby shops and even reptile sections of pet stores, but I wonder about the vibrant green color and any dyes that might be included.
You can collect moss from your area, clean it, propagate it and use it in your enclosure after it’s been propogating. Getting a variety of mosses in to do this myself in some ‘living’ enclosures. Another option is to buy moss that’s already prepped online.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I'm a big fan of ReptiSoil. It holds moisture well and holds structure for burrows. Can be a little pricey, but I've liked it so far.

TheInv4sion

Arachnobaron
I use a blend of Peat Moss, Bagged Top Soil, Sand, and sometimes chopped pieces of moss. Works well for me and if you dont use the moss its dirt cheap

me and my Ts

Arachnoknight
I use a mixture of coco fiber, organic topsoil, sand, dried spagnum moss, and orchid bark, it’s worked great for me and holds up burrows pretty well, but my favorite is when I’ve taken dirt from outside, it look better and holds up the burrow amazingly well