Substrate

mercurybullet

Arachnopeon
I got a b.smithi about two weeks ago and got a housing from the same dealer. The housing was already set up with substrate about 2" deep in some areas and about 1.5" in others.

I put in a waterdish, a fake plant, and a half coconut shell in the with the T and it seems to be working out good. The T has been making a burrow under the coconut shell a little more each night, however, last night it made it all the way to the bottom of the housing.

Its a 2"-2.5" smithi, what should I do...should I rehouse it with deeper substrate, or is that too much stress for a T that has just been recently rehoused anyways?

Thanks

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would just leave it for now. They aren't deep burrowers and as long as it has a hide, it should be fine. You'll rehouse it as it grows anyway and then you can add more substrate.

mercurybullet

Arachnopeon
Just thought i would throw on some quick pictures to help explain what im talking about

1) The opening to the burrow that is almost entirely closed up due to all the digging

2) A close up of the T in the burrow that goes all the way to the bottom of the substrate

3) A picture of the entire housing, showing how deep the substrate is

(sorry about the quality, was in a bit of a hurry)

Last edited:

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Your substrate looks like gravel though. That's not good. The depth is fine, but I'd actually change it afterall to some organic peat or potting soil. Those sharp edges can be bad for your T.

mercurybullet

Arachnopeon
Its acually half vermiculite and half peat moss...or at least thats what i was told :?

The dealer i got it from told me i shouldnt mix it but to let my T do whatever mixing it wanted to do

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Everything is fine. You definitely don't have to rehouse it. If you wanted to, you could just throw in another handful or two of soil, peat and or vermic. This is to give it some extra depth to protect the T from falling in case it climbs, but this doesn't involve rehousing, just adding to what is already there.

elyanalyous

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i'd add more peat...it looks like there may be too much space to fall for your baby....otherwise looks ok

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah it looks like there is lots of vermicultie.. add some more peat on top. and if it is all holed up like that it may be in premolt or just want some privacy for awhile.. i got a B.albopilosum that did that and didnt come out till after a molt.

mercurybullet

Arachnopeon
yeah it looks like there is lots of vermicultie.. add some more peat on top. and if it is all holed up like that it may be in premolt or just want some privacy for awhile.. i got a B.albopilosum that did that and didnt come out till after a molt.
Do all T's refuse food in premolt? or just most?...i just dropped a cricket in and it walked right into the den and was pounced on, i can see my T munching on it now through the bottom hole:D...lol that sure was a smart cricket{D

Anyways, sorry if this sounds silly just not sure exactly sure what you guys mean. How exactly should i add more peat?

should I take out the coconut and the T and then add more and let the T rebuild its burrow? or just add more on top and try my best not to completely cover the coconut that the T has its burrow underneath so its not stuck?

Thanks again for all the help

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yep, all T's will refuse food in pre-molt. Just because it's hiding doesn't mean it's in pre-molt. Some T's in pre-molt will do this, but some won't and end up just molting out in the open. And some T's just like a hidey hole in general. Particularly if this is a new home for him, he's likely just finding a place to hide and settling in. If you want to add more substrate, you can just add it on top. Personally, I think it's better to mix the two ahead of time because your T isn't going to mix them himself, but for now just on top is fine.