Substrate too damp?

Annie3Ponies

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I didn't grow mold, but I came back after a weekend camping trip, and yes, there was a big yellow mushroom growing in the LP tank!

Presumably something exotic that came in with the bag of substrate, since while my housekeeping may not be perfect, this is the first indoor mushroom I've spotted!{D

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
How is this normal explain to me how. If I had mushrooms growing in my tank I would change out the substrate asap and dry out the new sub really good.
So tarantulas in the wild never stumble across mushrooms?

barabootom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I wouldn't worry too much about a mushroom, unless you're getting loads of them. If the mushroom spores are present they'll grow. I would remove the shroom from the tank and let the substrate dry out a bit. Sounds too wet to me. If it's too wet you'll encourage other not-wanteds like mites.

PsychoSpider

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So tarantulas in the wild never stumble across mushrooms?
I didn't say that but the op said it is some type of exotic mushroom so the mushroom may not be from the same place an lp is so if it is indeed exotic and toxic the lp may not have any defenses against the poison.

Aurelia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I didn't say that but the op said it is some type of exotic mushroom so the mushroom may not be from the same place an lp is so if it is indeed exotic and toxic the lp may not have any defenses against the poison.
Except not eating it....

Scott C.

Arachnofloater
Old Timer
Impossible to know without a pic, but if that mushroom's head is balloon like to the touch it is because it is filling slowly with something. Do not pop it when you remove it. You will be sorry if you do.... I thought it was kinda cool the first time I saw one, so I watched it slowly grow. Didn't realize the head wasn't solid until it popped on it's own one day. That was the start of a war I could not win. Nearly every cage, and potted plant was infected within ~2 weeks.

PsychoSpider

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Except not eating it....
Some fungi poisons are so strong that the just enter through pores in humans skin and in tarantulas just seep through the exoskeleton or find another way in but it will find its way in. I suggest some of you guys read up on fungi doesn't souund like a fun time whether you live or die.

reverendsterlin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Some fungi poisons are so strong that the just enter through pores in humans skin and in tarantulas just seep through the exoskeleton or find another way in but it will find its way in. I suggest some of you guys read up on fungi doesn't souund like a fun time whether you live or die.
As a wild mushroom collector I object to this statement, Amanita phalloides (the death cap) needing spruce or cork trees to develop, A. virosa, A. bisporigera, A. ocreata and A. verna and a few other types (Conocybe filaris, Galerina autumnalis and G. venenata, and Lepiota josserandii and L. helveola) contain amatoxins. Amatoxins are cyclopeptides composed of a ring of amino acids that inhibit the production of specific proteins within liver and kidney cells. Without these proteins, cells cease to function. Following ingestion…five to twenty-four hours (average, twelve hours) pass before nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, and diarrhea begin. These initial symptoms are followed by a brief period of apparent improvement, but without treatment, severe liver damage and kidney failure often result in coma and death.

All of these fungi are easily identifiable and need to be ingested. No north american mushroom can deliver enough concentration to cause a problem through skin absorption (Percutaneous absorption) without a supplemental chemical to aid absorption. None of the referred to species will readily grow in a "house plant environment", they need specific temps, moisture, and co-species ( usually a type of hard or soft wood trees) to develop. The fungi the OP refers to is most likely a yellow colored mushroom that commonly can be found growing in potted plants that are kept moist for periods allowing mycelium to develop.

Beyond the point that only a few of types of mushrooms a dangerous, and then usually only if symptoms are untreated, even exposure to spores is unlikely to harm insects or arachnids (even many other types of mammals). If you actually found some amanitas you would also find a number of insects actually feeding on them (and possibly arachnids feeding on those insects). Take your own advise and read up, the alarmist message your presenting is not accurate.
Rev

Thompson08

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just remove the mushroom so that something bad won't happen to your t ( like scotts)