Sub Adult Phidippus Audax molting again

pandabacon

Arachnosquire
My Sub Adult who just recently molted last week looks to be getting ready to molt again. It ate a blue bottle or large house fly a day and was really fat before it spent almost all day making this yesterday. Triple entrance molting chamber, im impressed at what a little designer this Jumper is. It uses to make these cute leaf houses when it was smaller.

Attachments

My Sub Adult who just recently molted last week looks to be getting ready to molt again. It ate a blue bottle or large house fly a day and was really fat before it spent almost all day making this yesterday. Triple entrance molting chamber, im impressed at what a little designer this Jumper is. It uses to make these cute leaf houses when it was smaller.
That looks like a permanent shelter bud. Lovely construction. My widows like building funnel webs if they can. Fun stuff watching them catch things. One minute they are as still as a mountain pond, the next they are streaking about their webs like lightning bolts in the sky.

pandabacon

Arachnosquire
I see it moving around in its house today but it's not coming out at all. If it hunkers down again I'm expecting a molt if it stays inside for an extended period of time. Did this last time and disappeared for about 4 days before kicking it's old skin out and emerging the next day in new clothes. Do they molt as fast as they grow and eat? I'm wondering if I should slow down the feeding schedule.

pandabacon

Arachnosquire
Update on my Spider. It's definitely molting and has sealed up all entrances to it's home sometime yesterday. I was feeding it every day before it started this premolt and It has only been a week since it last molted. Is it normal for them to molt so fast if they get a constant supply of food?

WildSpider

Arachnobaron
Update on my Spider. It's definitely molting and has sealed up all entrances to it's home sometime yesterday. I was feeding it every day before it started this premolt and It has only been a week since it last molted. Is it normal for them to molt so fast if they get a constant supply of food?
I've found that spiders seem to molt quite a bit faster when they're younger than the adults do. This is pretty fast though. It's possible it just might not be hungry and might just want to hang out at the retreat for a while.

That's a cool enclosure you've got :D, btw.

Last edited:

pandabacon

Arachnosquire
Update! The little one kicked out her old skin sometime last night but has not yet emerged from her chamber. I love how they kick their old clothes out the door I guess that is something they do. I can't wait to see it's new suit, hopefully it comes out today.