Stupid Clerk at Shipping "store"

DMBizeau

Arachnopeon
So I go to drop off a T for shipping with a place I dont normally use(I had to use them this time because USPS couldnt do overnight).

I set my box down on the counter and let her know I would like to ship it overnight etc. She then picks up my box and holds it to her head and shakes it. I am pretty frustrated, so I ask "why would you shake the box if it says fragile on it?" She states "well I wanted to see if it was well packed", and is she is saying this, proceeds to pick it up again and shake it. At this point I am pretty pissed off to say the least, so I ask her angrily "why would you shake it again when I just got mad at you for shaking it the first time!?" She then gives me some attitude and says "well its going to get tossed around anyway." As you can imagine by this point I would like to reach across the counter and choke her, but I just shook my head, took my tracking number and left.

I plan on calling the manager tomorrow and will not be using them in the future.

Julia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow!!

Really now... What if you had something fragile in there that was NOT packed well and the clerk busted it when shaking the package? Then what would she do? "Oopsie!" Yeah right... Something breaking during shipping is a risk you take every time you ship. A clerk breaking your item at the desk before shipping does not fall within that risk.

Let us know what happens when you talk to the manager (obviously without telling them what was in the box!).

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wow...

Maybe she should just ask if it's well-packed?

What would happen if she shook it and (assuming it wasn't a spider) broke it? Would she be held accountable?

Ugh...

EDIT: Damn you, Julia!!!!! ;)

DMBizeau

Arachnopeon
I would like to point out the T was packed very very well because I dont pack any other way and:

A. you never know when some idiot will do something like that.

B. It was a 3"+ X. Intermedia and you never know when (A) will happen

Fracking Idiots!

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I would have shook HER! What a flaming *****

I hope you make progress with the manager... though I have a feeling it won't be a priority issue on his/her list.

I always cringe when i ship a T and the box is getting tossed around.. I know I packed them safe and they are okay, but it still doesn't settle right :(

drdoody

Arachnopeon
I've never had a bad experience with a shipping company, but the USPS is basically my nemesis. I've had a package full of pickles marked 'fragile' come back with all its contents shattered. And that thing was packed with newsprint and bubble wrap. Anyway, I keep track of Post Office workplace shootings like most guys remember baseball scores.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I can definitely understand your frustration, but at the same time, it kind of goes with the territory. I've sent and received plenty of animals and I've seen it all (and I mean all), from pretty much every carrier. That's why we pack the critters the way we do, because we know that words like "fragile" and "please be careful" mean nothing, or in some cases, the exact opposite to couriers.

In all honesty, I've always pictured what the woman did as pretty much how the box is handled the entire trip. Of course, to have it done the second you put the box down, right there in front of you... yep, would've made me mad too.

Hope the box completes its journey. Take care.

Steve Calceatum

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Probably shaken as a baby, herself!!!!! Some people's kids, I swear!!!!

It's common-sene that packages labled "Fragile" are a bit more gingerly mistreated than your average piece of freight, but they are still mistreated. Good for packing right, but let the manager have it!!!!!

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Probably shaken as a baby, herself!!!!! Some people's kids, I swear!!!!

It's common-sene that packages labled "Fragile" are a bit more gingerly mistreated than your average piece of freight, but they are still mistreated. Good for packing right, but let the manager have it!!!!!
It's always worth a try, and it's not as if the complaint is unfounded. Still, consider how many calls the manager gets every week, just like this. Actually, consider the collective number of all complaint calls like this, among all couriers, and then consider the current state of shipping practices now, last year, the year before that. I'd question the worthiness of the battle, despite its noble cause. That's just me though.
Might be easier to let the blood pressure return to normal, ship with whoever seems to do the best, and pack extra, extra carefully when you don't have a choice.

With respect to all opinions, this is mine.