studding?

Joeyo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my a avic molted a few days ago and grew an entire inch! now, i haven't really been able to get a real good look at her yet other than what i can see through the lid, but i THINK i saw bulbs on the palps. my she, might be a he! i would be very interested in breeding him, if he is indeed a he. How does this work? Does the male get sent to the female, or vice versa? Does the owner of the papa get a sling? 8) are a avic males in demand for breeding?

Bellis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The male must go to the female - the reverse often ends in lunch!

You can sell your male, and ship him off, or just send him on a breeding loan. This way you will get half the survivng sac, i think mucho worth it! And i think all spiders are in breeding demand, even if you have to look a bit.. Check the invertsonals!

Edit - Linkage!

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=47151

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=47134

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=46731

Thats all the posts within the last 10 days looking for A.Avics.. Goodluck!

Last edited:

Bellis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hope he made a couple injections first :( Most breeders - especially new ones - stand guard and break things up if the female gets too fiesty though. Unless its like the 3rd or 4th successfull attempt with the male and he's not needed for another female.. then she deserves a snack for her work! Thats just what I would do though, i suppose some would break them up anyways ;)

Bellis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Actually not clear on that. I assume it can build more sperm webs and load up numerous times???? i dont know.

But i meant after 4 times between the same TWO spiders.. i think more than that is overkill.. the female is sure to have recieved atleast a couple jabs by then!

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'm not sure if there is a limit to the number of times a spider can actually be mated - but I have heard that if it was successful, then the female will probably kill the male on re-introduction (I'll try to find where I read this..)

refnulf

Arachnopeon
Very interesting, so their shorter lifespan could be directly linked to the amount of times they can actually be mated. And you can't use the same male for a second mating session with the same female used in the 1st?

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
refnulf said:
Very interesting, so their shorter lifespan could be directly linked to the amount of times they can actually be mated. And you can't use the same male for a second mating session with the same female used in the 1st?
You can use the same male. I suppose you could use him as many times as you wanted to, but the chances of him being killed seem to increase with each introduction to the same female.

Many males move from female to female and may be paired several times with each. As long as the male is still making spermwebs - he should be able to mate.

Bellis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
but I have heard that if it was successful, then the female will probably kill the male on re-introduction
Does this mean that if the female is receptive every time, that its been a sure failure?

And you can't use the same male for a second mating session with the same female used in the 1st?
Yes you can, I guess you keep trying untill she'll have none of it! if you have multiple females... whoa thats one busy boy:D

Bellis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Many males move from female to female and may be paired several times with each. As long as the male is still making spermwebs - he should be able to mate
So for sure, they make multiple spermwebs in their lifetime??

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Bellis said:
So for sure, they make multiple spermwebs in their lifetime??
Yes, they make multiple spermwebs in order to "re-load" their palps.

As for the female being receptive every time indicating a failure - I don't know, but I don't think so. There really doesn't seem to be a given formula that analyzes all the possible outcomes. I'm not even sure how accurate the information is regarding the killing of a male on reintroduction if the mating was previously successful - just that the probability of him being killed seems to be greater on re-introductions rather than initial introductions. There's also a lot of other variables involved (human variables), but maybe someone who has recorded relevant information can help shed some light.

refnulf

Arachnopeon
Poor guy, at least he gets to mates a few times before he gets eaten eventually.

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
My male P. murinus died from old age between matings..

their clock is ticking.. so mate away..

if they get eaten then .. well it's GOOD nutrition for the female..

but he would have died shortly anyway.

best of luck

I would have to add that there is NO HARD AND FAST rule as to how to tell if a mating was successful..
well other than an eggsac full of eggs with legs in the future months..

BUT other than that I would have to go with the fact that each species is a bit different .. each female is a bit different..

I've read about male being eaten ( almost eaten ) first meeting..
I've heard of males cohabitating with the females for a couple weeks to months.. with many insertions.. ( honeymooners )

soo good luck..

When I get a spider room in my house I'll start breeding .. but not till the kids are in college.. hehe

Joeyo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well, if this spider does indeed turn out to be male, and i do send him off to mate. id only want one sling. maybe 2. definitly not half of the sac. i need to wait until its nice and strong again, and my apartment gets back to normal (changing roommates/air conditioning broke) before i can try to take a look. not sure how im gonna check if i dont handle it (never handled a T). thanks for all of the information though, even if i don't end up being able to mate him/her, at least ive learned something!

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Males, of all species, will make sperm webs over and over again, Even if they have not been mated.
A.avics should be left together for weeks if possible and no other female is availiable. There is little chance of this species eating the male.