Striped bark scorps help

kovub

Arachnopeon
Hey guys i am looking for some suggestions on how to decorate my tank. it is a 37 gallon which is 30" long x 12" wide x 24" high.

Im planning on buying 10 Centruroides vittatus and putting them in here. I was planning on using the bed a beast stuff (stuff that comes in a brick form) and mix that with peat. Sound good or bad? I was also thinking about cutitng some branches on some trees in my backyard to put in th tank for them to climb.. good or bad idea?

Any other suggestions?

I was also wondering if it was ok to buy all 10 from the same place... would that cause inbreeding or something?

Thanks for any help.

TheNothing

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
if you're using the brick stuff, then there really isn't a reason to add peat. Rather redundant even IMO. I would, however, throw in sand as well. C. vittatus are found in Texas, so you'll want to keep that consideration when you're putting things together.

As for taking things from you yard or nature in general, i suggest baking or microwaving to kill off any pests that might thrive in the tank.

As for buying all 10 from one place and worries about inbreeding... the important question there is whether they are captive bred or wild caught. If WC, there's likely little chance of inbreeding, but they'll be a bit more agressive and there's no telling if they're carrying any infections, etc. If they are CB, then you'll run into the likelyhood that they're all from the same brood, thus causing inbreeding concerns...

hope this helps...

kovub

Arachnopeon
Well, im not positive what they are, but im thinking they are wild caught.

I said the peat wit brick stuff because i already have them mixed together for my t's.

How about some black aquarium sand for substrate?

TheNothing

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
you can get away with that...

Do make sure whether or not the CB or WC... should be an easy question for the seller to answer...

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
37 gal seems wasted on only 10 vittatus. i would either go for a smaller tank (10 gal) or more scorps. AAnd yes! deffinitely want some climbing spots and vertical hides. this not only suites them better, but also maximizes the space of the tank. if you are using aa 37 gal tank, you could easily keep numbers going into the triple digits! I one kep my two males together in a 32 Oz. jar with only one peice of vertical corkbark and a peat bedding. it was meant to be temporary until i got a better tank, but i swear you never saw two happier scorps! and so i just left them there.
also, no sand. totally unecessary. simple, dry peat with a water dish and occasional misting works just fine.

John

kovub

Arachnopeon
Well im going to have a spare 37 once i take the water out of it. ( got rid of my fish ) and as for the sand its just black estes aquarium sand thats already in there.

Id reall like to use this tank, any other ideas if its a waste of tank for them? Looking to spend about $60...

Black Hawk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
you could probably find a way to divide it and add something like some tailless whipscorps,they like vertical space, just a thought...

prang11

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agree with pandinus. I would just save up a bit more cahs and buy 20 or so. I just ordered 4 of these guys that I will be putting in a 5 gallon and the guy I ordered them from says I could do plenty more than 4 in there. I would get the tank setup exactly like you want it then buy more then 10. With a large order like that you will probably get a few freebies as well {D

Raan_Jodus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
37gal will be HUGE. I have 4 right now in a 5 gal hex and even then I could put like 6 more in there comfortably I bet. I glued bark up 2 sides of the walls, sadly its kinda bad for me cause they always hide in the layers of bark (they are smaller than i expected) but they do seem happy with it. So plenty of vertical areas for them.

If you are getting a 37 gal tank, definately put some dividers in it..and fill it with more species. Maybe try to get some more Centruroides species. You could probably fit all the north american ones easy enough in that large of a space. Very nice species when you get to seem them out. Mine seem rather skittish though.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A 37 gal tank will hold about 25-30 of the little C vittatus. I would either get a smaller tank or more scorpions (now that's an idea :D). Anyway, all you need is some peat for substrate and some cork bark,broken flower pot, rocks etc for hides. I use to keep these years ago as they are the only native scorp here in Missouri.

Gsc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I keep a bunch of C. vittatus... these aren't a picky species...they'll make due with what you give them. You can certainly add more to a 37 gallon...or 10 would be fine...they'd have lots of room... You substrate will be fine... I have found C. vittatus in many different locales...some really dry and others semi moist. They do like hides... your branches or a chucnk of cork bark would be greatly appreciated... Enjoy!

ThatGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
man i wish i had a 37 gallon tank that needs some setting up !.....but i would prolly devide it up and put a few diffrent scorp species in it but thats just me good luck with the set up man !