Strange Spot on H. hottentotta

MB623

Arachnoknight
My adult H. hottentotta was leaning against the side of her enclosure when I noticed this black spot on her. I thought it was a peice of Eco-Earth, but upon closer inspection I realized it was something stuck to or growing on her. I'm really curious what it is. I've isolated her in the mean time and had her for sale locally, but will probably just keep her now. I know nobody may know what is, but figured I would share the pic.
IMAG0038.jpg

KDiiX

Arachnobaron
Looks like mycosis. Can't cure it and it's deadly. Sorry man :(
Bullcrap!
Mycosis can't be cured(in mild cases of mycosis it can be cured by the next molt) that's right but it only can be deadly. What you're writing sounds like the scorpion will die next 2 weeks because of mycosis. Mycosis is only deadly if it's spread so much that legs etc fall off.

In this case i don't even think its mycosis. As far as i know the pleural membran can't get mycosis only the exoskeleton. Mycosis most time starts at the pedipalps or tips of the legs.

Actually I'm pretty sure it's not mycosis but I'm pretty unsure what else it could be. Does your scorpion shares a enclosure with other H.hottentotta?

Last edited by a moderator:

MB623

Arachnoknight
Bullshit!
Mycosis can't be cured(in mild cases of mycosis it can be cured by the next molt) that's right but it only can be deadly. What you're writing sounds like the scorpion will die next 2 weeks because of mycosis. Mycosis is only deadly if it's spread so much that legs etc fall off.

In this case i don't even think its mycosis. As far as i know the pleural membran can't get mycosis only the exoskeleton. Mycosis most time starts at the pedipalps or tips of the legs.

Actually I'm pretty sure it's not mycosis but I'm pretty unsure what else it could be. Does your scorpion shares a enclosure with other H.hottentotta?
She is in her own cage by her lonesome. I wasn't really thinking mycosis, but rather some ectoparasite possibly. I know she is WC from Tanzania I do believe. It almost resembles a mole.:o_O:

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think it is mycosis I have seen it spread to membrane before but I don't think it's big deal. It can also be necrosis. Just dead cells from a previous fight.

pretty

Arachnopeon
is it totally unheard of for them to have blemishes or birthmarks?

MB623

Arachnoknight
I think it is mycosis I have seen it spread to membrane before but I don't think it's big deal. It can also be necrosis. Just dead cells from a previous fight.
I'm not sure what it is, her enclosure is completely dry with a small water dish. Hopefully it won't affect her upcoming brood. I'll post if anything new happens.

KDiiX

Arachnobaron
I think the fight/injury scenario sounds "good" especially if it's a wc.
Are you sure that what you have seen on the membrane was mycosis? Because i saw a lot of wc with heavy mycosis all over the body but never on the membrane. I only saw such black spots after mating stings and never because of mycosis.

ShredderEmp

Arachnoprince
I think the fight/injury scenario sounds "good" especially if it's a wc.
Are you sure that what you have seen on the membrane was mycosis? Because i saw a lot of wc with heavy mycosis all over the body but never on the membrane. I only saw such black spots after mating stings and never because of mycosis.
He said it was a female so the possibility of the male slipping the roofies of the scorpion world is a good possibility.

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have to back Abyss up on this. In most cases, it is restricted to the legs and joints, but in severe cases, I have seen it move onto the membrane, but I have never seen it start on membrane tissue. Only start on legs or joints and gradually move to membbrane tissue. I don´t think it is mycosis.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I agree with Josh i've seen it SPREAD to the membrane not start there...but I guess if it COULD spread there in theory it CAN start there as well but it's most likely an injury. Although unlikely that it was from a male since it's kind of rare to see any males of this species.

MB623

Arachnoknight
She was way gravid when I bought her from an expo last year and she dropped a brood 2 days after I bought her. I'm kinda curious now if she may have come from a sexual population, I doubt it, but it's nice to dream.

tmcv

Arachnosquire
It doesn't look like "mycosis", and mycosis do have treatment just like any other fungal infection.
It looks like a infection spot or a scar. Scar tissue in scorpions look black, just like focal infection, because the melanin is very active in the immune system of scorpions.

cantthinkofone

Arachnodemon
He said it was a female so the possibility of the male slipping the roofies of the scorpion world is a good possibility.
being parthenogenetic I don't think it was that. For those that don't know parthenogenesis is when the scorp doesn't need a mate and so the whole species is female.

ShredderEmp

Arachnoprince
being parthenogenetic I don't think it was that. For those that don't know parthenogenesis is when the scorp doesn't need a mate and so the whole species is female.
I was under the understanding that there are males, but they almost never appear.

MB623

Arachnoknight
Oh man, male Hh. It's like a myth. You hear of them, but never see them, not even a blurry photo. There are more pics of Bigfoot than there are of male Hh.

cantthinkofone

Arachnodemon
i actually heard there is some non parthono hottentottas on some cape or something. dont know were that link ran off to...