"Strange spiders" thread

Ythier

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok I start a new thread (please if you think it's a bad idea just let go the thread in the depths of the forum...otherwise put your pics ! ;) )

I start with some strange species :

1. Aphantochilus species from Guyana
2. Eresidae sp from Venezuela
3. Dysdera crocata from France
4. Sicarius rupestris from Argentina

Cheers,
Eric

Last edited:

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
nice pictures !
never saw that Aphantochilus before :eek:

but how do you define "strange" ?
("rare" or "looking funny" :p :) )

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i see D. Crocata all the time where i live. they're the only 6-eyed spider i ever saw (in real life).

you know what spider is really strange? that jumping spider that pretends to be an ant. i forget it's name, though.

Bastian Drolshagen

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hi, nice pics ;) got one nice spider too. A friend found it in the forrest near my house...
Micrommata virescens

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Here's some pics taken by Lindsey Pyne from right around the nature center where we work.

Spitting spider, Scytodes sp. "Spit" glue from head. How wierd can you get? This one was actually a captive, it lived more than a year and a half.

Micrathena sp. Surprisingly big webs from small spider. Legspan is .5 to 1 inch.

Longjawed orbweaver, Tetragnatha sp. Extremely common! Look like mini Nephila.

Wade

Malkavian

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I LOVE those Micrathena spp, we get them all over my parents yard in the fall

Navaros

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sweet pics guys! I've been trying to find some Micrathena forever. :( They would make cool captives. Eric, you are so lucky to have seen those spiders in person. Sicarius would be incredible to find. Dysdera are very cool too. I found my first one (dead) last year. I found a huge one in my bathroom about a month ago... but I squashed it. :razz:
As for strange spiders, I've always liked Theridion.
http://biology.swau.edu/faculty/petr/ftphotos/hawaii/postcards/spiders/

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wade, did you ever get to see the Scytodes sp. actually spitting?

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
danread said:
Wade, did you ever get to see the Scytodes sp. actually spitting?
Nope. It was very shy about it, I'd see it eating and find the glued crickets but never say the actual spit.

Wade

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hi
if you feed them ants, and the ants get near them a few times, "suddenly" the ants leg becomes glued to the wall, its quite nice.
Very beautiful pic Wade, theyre so small! my cam fails to focus on it :(

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wade said:
Nope. It was very shy about it, I'd see it eating and find the glued crickets but never say the actual spit.

Wade

I suspected they would be pretty shy. It's a shame, they are incredible creatures, the glue producing gland on the top of the head gives it a really bizzare body form.

I imagine it would be much the same with the bolus spiders and the net casting species. Wouldn't mind owning a few though :)

Raqua

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This morning I found wandering some small spider around my room, probably I brought him home with some green leafs for crix. I picked him up and looked closer and it looks like Scytodes sp.
I will try to make some pics.

Raqua

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Here they are. It is really a Scytodes sp., I have seen him eating. I put a pinhead inside and in a few second I looked back and seen the cricket's leg is glued to the floor ... :)
And that beast spider was standing above him .... Very cool.
It is very small, so the pics aren't best - it was really hard to keep him stand, he was running away all the time.

Attachments