Strange newt activity! Urgent!

Gr8Reptile

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok I just added some water and gravel to even out my tank a little more and correct a temperature problem. So I put the two fire bellied newts back in their cage. One swam over and propped himself up on the shore. The other newt squeezed behind the underwater filter. (It sucks the water through grates so it wont create a strong current.) He has been underwater for about roughly an hour to two hours. How long can they stay submerged? I just checked on him and he has sunk/moved to the bottom of the tank. I am 90% sure he could get to the surface of the water. Is he dead?

Tarantula_man94

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I doubt it. If it put itself there it can put itself back up. i think you would know if it was dead.

Gr8Reptile

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sorry but I don't have a camera. So do you guys think I should wait overnight and them move it if she/he still wedged up against the glass?

Gr8Reptile

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
He wiggled a bit. The filter made a bunch of weird noises. So I had to try and fix it. Without crushing the newts head. Now it is corrected and he is still in the same spot yet I can't see his head it is at an angle. So I can't tell if I crushed him. This sucks.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
why the filter? Newts don't really like water movement. I'd take it out...and maybe replace it with a sponge filter if you feel the need for a filter.

Gr8Reptile

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Oh cause its a really nice one that creates a waterfall. Works very well and I think the newt kinda likes it. I just moved it, he has been under there for 5-7 hours and he is fine. Weird huh? 6-7 hours no hoxygen! That doesn't make any sense!