stirmi or blondi?

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I thought it was T. stirmi also when I first saw the photo (on Facebook) although after seeing a closer shot its actually T. blondi in need of a moult. The patella hairs don't look to be present on leg pairs I & II on that photo although on closer inspection they are and even more clearer on leg pairs III & IV, the other photo Ive seen confirms its T. blondi, I reckon she just needs to moult.

Last edited:

heavydumbs

Arachnosquire
new pic in question confirming blondi

I thought it was T. stirmi also when I first saw the photo (on Facebook) although after seeing a closer shot its actually T. blondi in need of a moult. The patella hairs don't look to be present on leg pairs I & II on that photo although on closer inspection they are and even more clearer on leg pairs III & IV, the other photo Ive seen confirms its T. blondi, I reckon she just needs to moult.
Heres the other pic confirmation :)

Attachments

Comatose

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hmmm... that looks a bit more like blondi, but my money is still on stirmi. As I understand it stirmi doesn't lack hair on the patella, but merely the long setae - using your original thread for identification, I still see hair on the patella of the specimen you labelled stirmi, and it appears to be the most similar to the specimen above.

My .02!

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
Throwing in a 3rd opinion of T. stirmi.

I also agree with Comatose. That looking at the thread linked by mcluskyisms, the spider in this thread very closely resembles the spider in that one labelled as T. stirmi.

Bjamin

Arachnosquire
I would say stirmi as well and from the last pic I can tell you that it is not going to molt any time soon

heavydumbs

Arachnosquire
Im not doubting anyone but I may add that this was sold to me by Thomas Vinmann as T. blondi. As you know he is very well renowned.

Attachments

Last edited:

Comatose

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I suppose we'll just have to wait for a molt and maybe some clearer pictures (which isn't a dig at all... I'm a terrible photographer).

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Im not doubting anyone but I may add that this was sold to me by Thomas Vinmann as T. blondi. As you know he is very well renowned.
I guess I'm not clear then on why you're posting an ID thread? Do you doubt his identification?

Additionally, did you buy this before or after the T. blondi/T. stirmi debacle?

heavydumbs

Arachnosquire
I guess I'm not clear then on why you're posting an ID thread? Do you doubt his identification?

Additionally, did you buy this before or after the T. blondi/T. stirmi debacle?
Just to spark some debate as is healthy in the hobby and to gain a little knowledge from you more experienced keepers as I cant tell the difference myself. It only arrived today.

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hmmm... that looks a bit more like blondi, but my money is still on stirmi. As I understand it stirmi doesn't lack hair on the patella, but merely the long setae - using your original thread for identification, I still see hair on the patella of the specimen you labelled stirmi, and it appears to be the most similar to the specimen above.

My .02!
AFAIA the specimen pictured here on this thread (T. blondi) is an adult. The one belonging to me that was pictured on the ID thread (T. stirmi) is a sub-adult (as labelled). Although at that size T. stirmi do have "the odd small hair" visible on the patella the one pictured on this thread (which IMO) is T. blondi.

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
As I understand it stirmi doesn't lack hair on the patella, but merely the long setae - using your original thread for identification
That thread should've been made with an AF T. stirmi pictured (as the other two specimens were AF) although I took the decision to make it regardless as I thought the information on it may be of some use, for instances such as this for example.

Version 2.0 (more in depth) of that article is already made although I haven't bothered posting it yet as I intend to use it elsewhere first.