Stinger looks odd, seeking advice

Mrninjathefox

Arachnopeon
So I’ve had my emp for about five months now, and when I bought him his stinging gland was small and white, I assumed after a while maybe the shell would grow back. Maybe he needs to molt before it will, I just wanted to provide some pics and maybe have someone experienced give me some advice or tell me why it is what it is. Thanks in advance

Attachments

NickW

Arachnopeon
Looks like it may have some growing to do. When they mature the telson will turn a dark red color. What size is the scorp? Also, if it is a deformity, it shouldnt affect feeding as they mainly use their claws.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
So I’ve had my emp for about five months now, and when I bought him his stinging gland was small and white, I assumed after a while maybe the shell would grow back. Maybe he needs to molt before it will, I just wanted to provide some pics and maybe have someone experienced give me some advice or tell me why it is what it is. Thanks in advance
Looks like it's not mature yet. When mature the telson will be a dark red/maroon color. When younger they are that lighter color.

I can't really see anything wrong from the images you posted. Maybe post a few more from different angles and closer angles.

Pandinus spp. predominantly use their chela to subdue prey, though they do occasionally sting it. If the telson was damaged, my concern would not be for it feeding but rather for it eliminating waste given that their anus is located there. Honestly, I am not sure why Nature did that but it is what it is.

Mrninjathefox

Arachnopeon
His feeding is fine I’ve seen him eat, he’s not much bigger than four or five inches (main torso), he may have some growing to do

Mrninjathefox

Arachnopeon
Yeah he’s not acting strangely and shows no signs of sickness or discoloration anywhere else on his body, thank you both for your replies, I’ll try to provide a few more pics later

TheScorpionMan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah he’s not acting strangely and shows no signs of sickness or discoloration anywhere else on his body, thank you both for your replies, I’ll try to provide a few more pics later
Perhaps you could use a soft paintbrush and gently brush it on the metasome to see if it reacts with it's stinger

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Like others have said, it's got one or two more molts to go, not grown up yet. btw you measure from the mouth parts to the tip of the stinger to determine length of scorpions, that's the formal/scientific way anyway.

LeFanDesBugs

Arachnobaron
To me the telson is absent. Cut off or something. Still, it shouldn't be an issue. The anus doesn't look damaged and as others said, they mainly use their chelae.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
To me the telson is absent. Cut off or something. Still, it shouldn't be an issue. The anus doesn't look damaged and as others said, they mainly use their chelae.
I don't think it's absent , i think it's the angle it's being held at combined with the angle of the image giving the appearance of it being missing.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I see a telson too, esp. in the second pic but it could be my mind trying to fill in missing parts.