Stilting information collection

Tarantino andTs

Arachnopeon
After finding my 4" female B. Emila stilting (in pre-molt) in her water dish (ceramic 2.5" in diameter with .20-.25 inches of water in it) so that she was over the water but her feet were all mostly touching dry spots, I began to wonder if it meant she was too cold, hot dehydrated or what. Doing a search yielded very disordered information saying it could be anything from too hot or cold to nematodes. I figured it would be interesting to try and get some other accounts of stilting to see if there is a trend. Below is my most recent expirience:

Specimine:
b. Emila 4" female premolt

Ground temp:
78 deg f
(the water bowl is warmed and was at 80)

Air temp:
70 deg f

humidity( from a cheap hygrometer)
70-75

Substrate:
Dry eco earth coconut fiber

Notes:
She was standing on the edges of the water dish.

Thanks!

captmarga

Arachnobaron
It might also mean she was just sitting over the water dish. Is she still there? She might sit there for hours because she likes that spot. Just check her in 12 hours. If she's moved, fill up her dish. Check her again in 12 hours.

Marga

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
What do you mean when you say 'waterbowl is warmed' as in gives out additional heat?if so that will be the reason your emilia will stand over the waterbowl.

Tarantino andTs

Arachnopeon
Don't know if anyonewill see this since it took me so long to reply, I am a physics major, so I have a tendency to hide in the labs for longer periods of time than my T can spend in its hide! Anyway, Curious Jay, yes it has a tiny waterproof electrical heater in it, it can't go over 85 deg so I figured the spider would like it and that it would not pose a significant risk. Although if she has stopped stilting over it she still sits on a part of it that has no water. If she was trying to warm herself/be in a more humid area, wouldn't she want to minimize distance from the bowl instead of stretching away from it?

---------- Post added 03-07-2013 at 12:26 AM ----------

Also thanks Marga, I am starting to believe that she just liked the warmth and is weird like most Ts. The dry end of the water bowl has definitely become her "spot" now!