Still Birth?

TRowe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok, so I come home to find one of my C. exilicauda hovering over a mass of what appear to be scorplings still encased in individual membranes. A few of the masses are in front of her, and I'm pretty sure she's still in the process of giving birth. None of the masses are moving, as far as I can tell. Duds? This is my first scorpion "birthing" experience. Do they normally start moving around and climbing on top of the female right away, or is this normal?

Thanks for any opinions, facts, suggestions or advice. :)

Tim

ThatGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
they still possibly can survive ive seen this befor with emps and i guess they come out of the membrain and crawl onto the mother back, i have a bunch of C. Exilicauda my self but i have never actualy witnesed them giving birth so i wouldnt know if that was normal or not. keep us posted.

Empi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That is not normal but it happens. Babies should crawl right upp on to mom when they come out. But like ThatGuy said, they can still survive but it is not a very common occurance..

TRowe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, it's been a little over five hours since I first discovered the embryos, and nothing has changed. For the heck of it, I threw together a neonatal ICU and carefully transferred the little guys in there. I'm sure nothing will happen, but we'll see.

Thanks to both of you for your input.

Tim

TRowe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It appears that the female is now on her way out. I found her today with one pedipalp slung over her body and tucked behind leg II, metasoma laid straight out behind her. She's only responding very slightly to any stimulus (I can't even provoke a sting response). Currently, she is not accepting water when offered. Perhaps she aborted her offspring as a result of being close to death? I have no idea. She is now residing in an ICU of sorts, as well. It also appears that my attempt to save the embryos did not pan out, but no surprise there.

What an interesting first experience! :confused:

Tim

ThatGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i prolly would have left those eggs with the female, cuz if they do come out they will go right on the mother back like there spose to and if the mother is not there they cant get the proper humidity as if they were on the mothers back and will surley die.

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
What you have are aborted embryos...The mother was/is stressed in some way and unfortunately that is what happens...I have never seen them make it if they were not out and about on their own...I have yet to have one of those survive either.

From what you said it sounds like the mother is stressed and on her last leg...thats always a bummer.

John
];')

TRowe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think you hit the nail right on the head, John. Last weekend I moved the aformentioned female and her roomie into a larger, more luxurious abode, not knowing she was gravid. That's probably what stressed her, causing the abortion.

It's a bummer for sure, but it didn't come without a lesson. I'm a bit more confident that I'll be able to identify my next gravid scorp.

Tim