Sterilizing Substrate

kin-inam

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
How do you sterilize your substrate when you have lots of specimen? Do you think it's safe to just microwave the substrate while it is in the KK then just put the T's back after it cools down?:?

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't really think it's necessary to sterilize the substrate. Sure, you'll get rid of whatever is in it initially but you'll just be providing a clean substance for something new, and possibly nastier, to colonize.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Yeah, if there's a problem with the substrate, (say in infestation) then just change it. Otherwise, what's wrong with it?

But every 8+ months I redo T cages, including new substrate, and I don't recycle that.

kin-inam

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The substrates are new about a week old, I used 10 bags so replacing is a bit hard to swallow but I noticed these small roach like bugs. They're not mites because I find bugs like them in the garden. The problem is ants like to hunt them and they are pissing my T's and scorps off. These are potting soil commercially sold with a sign saying "No Bugs and Parasite" on the bag. This should serve as a lesson to everybody. Don't trust the companies and sterilize the substrate of choice before using.

rattler_mt

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
just cause the company sterilizes it doesnt mean it stays sterilized, most soils sit outside for a good period of time before they are sold a hole or tear in the bag can allow the reintroduction of critters. the company probably did sterilize it, however it might have sat outside for 6 months of more before you bought it. cant hold the company responsiple for that. when they say "sterilized" they are after weed seeds and potential plant problems. they are not targeting potential invert proplem causers. besides ive purchased bales of peat moss where i have known for a fact it had sat outside for a year cause i was the one who had stacked it there the year before while working at a greenhouse. who knows how long it sat somewhere before we had gotten it in via truck.

Nate

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I wouldn't nuke a KK. It might begin to melt it, I've never done that though.

I would mist the substrate and bake it at 350 degrees for 2 hours. Make sure to keep checking on it though. Could catch on fire.

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
If you want to sterilize dirt the common procedure is to put it in a shallow metal tray and bake at 300°F for about half and hour and let it cool down. Problem with this method is baking dirt is not a pleasant odor.

If your going to sterilize dirt you might as well use dirt from your yard as long as you know it is pesticide free.

The problem with microwaving is it is uneven heating hot spots and cold spots. So it does not truly become sterilized and the hot spots can get hot enough to melt you KK.

Though if the problem is the ants and not necessarily the other bugs there are ways of dealing with the ants directly. there are several threads dealing that. Just use the search function.

eman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
David_F said:
I don't really think it's necessary to sterilize the substrate. Sure, you'll get rid of whatever is in it initially but you'll just be providing a clean substance for something new, and possibly nastier, to colonize.
Exactly! Also, a good reference; Samuel D. Marshall's "Tarantulas and Other Arachnids", page 22 (Substrates).

Meribre

Arachnopeon
Hello!

eman said:
Exactly! Also, a good reference; Samuel D. Marshall's "Tarantulas and Other Arachnids", page 22 (Substrates).
I never had a situation where I had to sterilize my substrate, although it's abounded with small organisms. I'd like to emphasize that in nature tarantulas live in a substrate that isn't sterile either.

Even if one sterilizes his t's substrate, it won't stay sterile for long ;)

Cheers,
Mario

eman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Meribre said:
Hello!

I never had a situation where I had to sterilize my substrate, although it's abounded with small organisms. I'd like to emphasize that in nature tarantulas live in a substrate that isn't sterile either.

Even if one sterilizes his t's substrate, it won't stay sterile for long ;)

Cheers,
Mario
Same here - I totally agree.

Fullstop

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Gesticulator said:
simply put...i refuse to cook dirt.

I make sure the substrate I purchase has no rips in the bag before I hand the cash over.