Steaming Acrylic Enclosures

Poffypoffa

Arachnosquire
I recently purchased a few used Tarantula Cribs enclosures. I'm aware that I don't need to sanitize them. However, they need some extra TLC to remove some web spots, corrosion stains, etc.

I'm wondering if it's safe to steam clean them. Steam blasts away grime, and it's my go-to for reptile enclosures, but I don't know if a quick blast of steam would hurt the acrylic. I searched the forum and couldn't find anything relevant (other than in the context of humidifiers).

Anyone try this, and what was your experience? My other option is just using dye and fragrance-free dish soap, which is my normal go-to for deep cleaning--but steam is less labor intensive (and more effective, really).

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I recently purchased a few used Tarantula Cribs enclosures. I'm aware that I don't need to sanitize them. However, they need some extra TLC to remove some web spots, corrosion stains, etc.

I'm wondering if it's safe to steam clean them. Steam blasts away grime, and it's my go-to for reptile enclosures, but I don't know if a quick blast of steam would hurt the acrylic. I searched the forum and couldn't find anything relevant (other than in the context of humidifiers).

Anyone try this, and what was your experience? My other option is just using dye and fragrance-free dish soap, which is my normal go-to for deep cleaning--but steam is less labor intensive (and more effective, really).
Steam blasts ? What type of machine is it? I never even thought of that.

Poffypoffa

Arachnosquire

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
i would just soak em in hot water then use a micro fiber rag to rub at the dirty areas . as for the steaming i would go to home depot buy a scrap peice of acrylic for a tester to try steaming

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
i would just soak em in hot water then use a micro fiber rag to rub at the dirty areas . as for the steaming i would go to home depot buy a scrap peice of acrylic for a tester to try steaming
Always test before undertaking processes like steaming. MANY different types of acrylics some of which are very heat sensitive, quickly warping and distorting. The problem is you must test the same acrylic you want to clean. Visually you can't tell the difference between 200C tolerant and distorts at 45C. Think cheap Walmart containers vs windows in aircraft.

Last edited:

Poffypoffa

Arachnosquire
Always test before undertaking processes like steaming. MANY different types of acrylics some of which are very heat sensitive, quickly warping and distorting. The problem is you must test the same acrylic you want to clean. Visually you can't tell the difference between 200C tolerant and distorts at 45C. Think cheap Walmart containers vs windows in aircraft.
Makes total sense, thanks. I may just do a soak and scrub instead, to be safe. 🙂

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Yeah regular water and soap has always worked just fine for me!!

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
A friends mom once poured hot water into a thin acrylic container. It ever so slowly turned into a saggy bag shaped glorp thing. That would come in handy if you had a former or mold and wanted a custom shape.