starving P regalis

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I finally figured out why my little P regalis is not eating. I could kick myself for not checking earlier, and I hope it's not too late. Poor thing is fangless.
I removed the heads of 3 medium sized crickets tonight and smashed them into a soup adding water. I put it in a 1oz deli cup lid, and coaxed the poor weak thing into it. I've got my fingers crossed... anyone successfully gotten a fangless spider to another molt?

misfitsfiend

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If its an s'ling i'd think you would have a good chance. it can hold off for a month, but as they get older its harder to say. sorry about the spider. You can try and put some stuff in the watter but remember that with out the fangs they cant digest anything.

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
misfitsfiend said:
If its an s'ling i'd think you would have a good chance. it can hold off for a month, but as they get older its harder to say. sorry about the spider. You can try and put some stuff in the watter but remember that with out the fangs they cant digest anything.
Why can't they digest anything without fangs? :rolleyes: Venom is not used as the primary digestive fluid. They regurgitate digestive fluid to break down solid matter.

mouse

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i think somebody else here on the boards had a similar problem.
they offered ideas about splitting the back of crix, waxworms, silkworms, pieces of raw meat threaded on a string (no knot in string!).
i think the t managed to eat...
good luck and i'd say try the silkworms since they are soft and got more fat and less shell and that be good for you poor baby right now.
dianne

jesses

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Immortal_sin said:
I finally figured out why my little P regalis is not eating. I could kick myself for not checking earlier, and I hope it's not too late. Poor thing is fangless.
I removed the heads of 3 medium sized crickets tonight and smashed them into a soup adding water. I put it in a 1oz deli cup lid, and coaxed the poor weak thing into it. I've got my fingers crossed... anyone successfully gotten a fangless spider to another molt?
I've gotten two fangless tarantulas to a next molt somehow, crushed crickets is the way to go

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Try silk worms, they are soft enough and very fatty and the spider should be able to eat them until its next molt...

Regards, Mike :rolleyes:

priZZ

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Please tell me, how You guys manage to have always Ts without fangs or pedipalps??? :?

I keep Ts since 2 years, but I never had this problem, maybe one missing leg by an Avi. versicolor sling.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
well, it appears as though it might have eaten a bit. Jesses, what kind of container did you keep them in? How often did you offer it to your Ts? And how large were they? This T is approx 2.5" or so, not a tiny sling.

jesses

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Immortal_sin said:
well, it appears as though it might have eaten a bit. Jesses, what kind of container did you keep them in? How often did you offer it to your Ts? And how large were they? This T is approx 2.5" or so, not a tiny sling.
I have an adult P. Regalis that broke a both fangs, not sure how. I checked one day and they were both broke. It was about 4 or 5" legspan. It took a few months of crushed crickets to get it to molt and now it's fine. I just kept it in her normal critter keeper.

Also I had a subadult L. Parahybana, 4" legspan, that broke a fang trying to eat one of those big hissing roaches (I will never try that again). It was already pretty fat and completely refusing food so I just left her alone until she molted and she's fine now also.

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Fangless...

priZZ said:
Please tell me, how You guys manage to have always Ts without fangs or pedipalps??? :?

I keep Ts since 2 years, but I never had this problem, maybe one missing leg by an Avi. versicolor sling.
I have been keeping T's for over 25 years and have had several hundred come and go but never had a fangless T. Do you know what caused it?
I had a B. smithi with a broken fang once, which was replaced with the next shed. If her fangs are missing I hope she can still exude venom from her chelicera to dissolve food. I commend you for your effort to make cricket milkshakes for her to eat. Did she consume any of it?
This is a new one for me, fangless... :? Let us know how she fares.

priZZ

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
@ Greg Wolfe:

That is just what I said/questioned! I can't even imagine why someone has so many "damaged" Ts... sad to hear.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
so, in essence, you are asking why I have so many Ts with broken fangs? Like, I've had ONE...yeah, that's a whole lot :rolleyes:
priZZ...please actually READ the thread first, and avoid using superlatives like 'always'. Also, if you don't have anything significant to contribute, then why bother posting? (yes, I'm annoyed)

@ Greg...I imagine this T's fangs did not molt with the rest of him/her. I can't recall seeing it eat since it molted (not long ago, about 3 weeks). I don't know what prompted me to look at it's underside, but I'm glad I did. It looks like it might have eaten a bit of the 'soup'.
I"m going to take out the substrate and make it easier to find the soup bowl.

nightbreed

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi I've never had this problem but I read somewhere about a guy who did and he did what you are doing with the cricket shakes but he also recommended upping the temp to speed up metabolism thus bringing on the next moult quicker I'm trying to find the page I read it on if I do i'll post the addy
good luck

priZZ

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Immortal_sin said:
so, in essence, you are asking why I have so many Ts with broken fangs? Like, I've had ONE...yeah, that's a whole lot :rolleyes:
And others have also some... I never thought You have all the "damaged" Ts. And I never said that.

Immortal_sin said:
Also, if you don't have anything significant to contribute, then why bother posting?
Others have, and I was just wondering!

Immortal_sin said:
(yes, I'm annoyed)
So am I. Sorry, but if You feel because of two post of me annoyed (or are there others, in other threads?), that is not my fault. You don't have to loose Your temper if I ask a simple question.

jesses

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
priZZ said:
I always have T's without fangs and pedipalps because I like to torture them and rip their legs off with pliars. :mad:

Oh and if this post annoys you, it's not my fault, it's my posts fault. Or it's my computer's fault. Or it's your fault.

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I also have a T without fangs. I believe it molted that way. It is a 1 1/2 inch Nhandu chromatus. I have been giving it mushed crix. Maybe the problem is inbreeding?

priZZ

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Agent Smith angry like 'always'.

Sorry for everything, my bad. I won't happen again.