Starvation

FatSpider

Arachnopeon
My nhandu chromatus has recently molted but has a very small abdomen and I am wondering how small is to small. I can’t feed her until her fangs harden up or else she could brake them and definitely die. I have supplied her with fresh water and I will upload a photo of her when I can. She was 3 inches her last molt and this is my first T so I don’t know how big she has grown.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Absolutely nothing to worry about.

They've been doing this for thousands of years...

As long as she has water it'll be ok

cold blood

Staff member
Literally ALL ts are at their very thinnest just after molting...this is of no concern, its not going to starve to death, at least not for many months.

FatSpider

Arachnopeon
Ok thank you guys a lot

Guys I have a question, my nhandu chromatus was 3 inches and is now in the region of 3.5-4 inches after her molt. It has been 5 full days and I’m on the sixth day now and her fangs are black and when I test her attitude by tapping the ground she goes over to it like she is lurking prey, should I feed her ? The prey would be a dubia roach. I’ve searched online but I can’t find any specific time stamps on when to feed after a molt and since it’s this size it wouldn’t take 2 weeks like a adult to harden ?.

F7332CA1-218D-4613-8569-2121F0712AE3.jpeg This is a picture I just took of her sorry for bad quality outside of glass is misty because I tried to clean it with a wipe and got a bad phone.

Last edited by a moderator:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
At that size I would give it 3 or 4 more days to be sure. They go after prey because it is instinct for them.

Remember in the wild there is no set time when food will arrive. It could be weeks or months after a molt before they get to feed again.

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
Guys I have a question, my nhandu chromatus was 3 inches and is now in the region of 3.5-4 inches after her molt. It has been 5 full days and I’m on the sixth day now and her fangs are black and when I test her attitude by tapping the ground she goes over to it like she is lurking prey, should I feed her ? The prey would be a dubia roach. I’ve searched online but I can’t find any specific time stamps on when to feed after a molt and since it’s this size it wouldn’t take 2 weeks like a adult to harden ?.
I usually wait at least 2 weeks after molting at that size to feed just to be safe. While most of my Ts eat Dubia I always give a softer red runner for the first feed after molting. I might be paranoid but better safe than sorry, lol.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Don't tap around with the goal of "testing her temperament" - that is nonsense.

If you want to see if she is ready to eat, prekill a dubia and leave it in overnight.

He's telling the truth. But back in the good old days dinosaurs were the hobby.

T Stirmi
T Rex

See :pompous:
This post made me SO HAPPY. Thank you. Lol