Starter snake?

JBoyer

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am begining to get curious about keeping a snake but I am wondering of some of you experts could give me some advice on a good one to start with!

Thanks,
Jennifer

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My suggestion would be a corn snake. They don't usually get very large, they usually have great personalities, and they are some of the easiest snakes to keep. Food is usually accepted dead or alive, and it is a rare thing for a healthy corn snake to refuse to eat unless its about to shed or something. You can also get corns in pretty much any color combination. Rosy boas are some I've heard that are pretty easy to keep as well.

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
There are plenty of good beginner snakes. It all depends on what you want. Here are somethings to consider. Does size matter? Large snakes require large enclosures. Do you have the space? Do you want a display animal or something you can handle? There are snakes that come from dry regions (humidity is never really an issue) and others that need moderate to high humidity. Also, do you have a problem with killing rodents for your snake or keeping frozen rodents? Think about a couple of these things and post a reply. It will help narrow down candidates for your first snake.

In the meantime here are a couple of snakes that are not very difficult to keep:
spotted python
children's python
rosy boas
corn snakes
kingsnakes

I'm sure others will add to this list.
Mike

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
I agree with all the species mentioned thus far, especially the corn snake. Although everything pategirl wrote is true, it should be pointed out that you want to purchase one that has already voluntarily fed on pinks at least three times and, since that is a matter of trust, you need to believe the seller and use your best judgement based on its body weight and size. Corn snakes are dependable feeders once they get going, but some neonates are difficult to get feeding at first, particularly on pinkies. I won't mention the other ratsnakes since the Corn is the best and comes in at least 31 flavors.

Of the kings, I would start with a California king - there are plenty of color forms to choose from. Of the milksnakes, the Pueblan and Honduran are big robust babies and the best for beginners. However, I would recommend a king over a milk for your first snake (kings are generally calmer and less picky about feeding).

I'd recommend beginning with a colubrid, but the three boid species mentioned are also good choices. I'd add the ball python to that list, but many of the supposed "captive bred babies" on the market are in fact farm bred "bush babies". Wild-caught gravid females are often held in animal dealers' compounds until they lay their eggs. These offspring are still imported and have an increased chance of disease or other health problems. If you can get one from a US breeder than it is a must for the fourth boid choice.

Check out Kathy Love's cornutopia.com and discover why the corn is a favorite of beginners and experienced keepers alike.

Last edited:

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I have to wholeheartedly recommend a rosy boa. They stay small (under 3'), like it DRY, so no worries about humidity, and are docile, and great eaters.
Plus, not too terribly expensive for a nice CB.
We did tons of research, and are happy we went with a rosy.
He is a total sweetheart, and my 8 year old can handle him with no worries too.

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
ALSO sand boas!!They come in pretty colors and they require NO uvb light...just heat!! or better yet get a Rubber Boa they require no light OR heat!! just like to be at 70degrees....odd things.
Michelle

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Michelle,
Snakes in general do not require any uvb lighting.
Mike

JBoyer

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would like to get something that is handleable,(docile) will readily feed, and does not have unusual humidity or temperature requirements. Size is an issue, I do not want anything that will get really large, as I have children and other pets, and do not want to have to worry about them.Thanks for the input!

Jennifer

OH, and I do not have a problem keeping frozen rodents. I feed live rodents to some of my T's!

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'd go with the rosy boa, spotted python, or children's python. They all can be permenantly housed in a 20 gallon tank and are easy to care for. All three are docile and don't require any specialized maintenance as far as snakes go. The pythons max out between 2'-3' and the rosy at about 3'-3.5'. They feed readily as long as they have already been started. Make sure the animals are eating before purchasing. 85f basking spot can easily be provided via a heat lamp or heat pad during the day. Night time temps can drop to low 80's. No special lighting is required. All you need to set up is a water bowl, hide spots, and some cage furnishing for them to cruise around on. They are all terrestrial.
good luck,
Mike

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by JBoyer
I would like to get something that is handleable,(docile) will readily feed, and does not have unusual humidity or temperature requirements. Size is an issue, I do not want anything that will get really large, as I have children and other pets, and do not want to have to worry about them.Thanks for the input!

Jennifer

OH, and I do not have a problem keeping frozen rodents. I feed live rodents to some of my T's!
how about a western hog nosed snake, they don't get much over 18" to 24" if that long. one could be housed its entire life in a 20 gallon terrarium. mine does not crawl around the top looking for a way out like a corn snake or rosy boa or many other snakes would. mine will put on a defensive display with hissing, it will spread its hood and sometimes strike with its mouth closed but it has never bitten me. it could be acting this way because I never handle it other than to very rarely move it to another container to change out the substrate. there is a recent hog nosed snake appreciation thread here on this forum.
Ed

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The topic has been covered pretty well and the species mentioned are good choices.

As far as what I recommend for starters corns hands down. They are the easiest snake to keep very rare to find a problem feeder and as calm as snakes get as a general rule. Not to mention the variety blows away pretty much any other species.

Other good starters are cal kings hondos sinaloans eastern kings brooks kings pretty much any Pituophis ( bull pine or gopher )

Phil

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm with Ed,
Western Hognose is a great choice. They look really cool,and put on a great show trying to show how tough they are. They strike with their mouth shut. Flatten out their heads and hiss.

I'm getting a male soon,and am going to breed them.

Fun snake..:D

Ernie

Wh1teshark

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Although this thread already got some great tips on what snake you should get I would personally recommend the Lampropeltis Mexicana Greeri (Greer's King Snake).
It might be a bit hard to come by (atleast it is in Sweden) but they are worth it. They are wery beautiful and don't grow as large as the Cornsnake or the Californian King for example. They stay below a meter in lenght.

http://satangolga.mine.nu/bilder/DSC00354.JPG

there's a picture of my little baby.
Note that it is in pre-molt so the colors are a bit dull.

Good luck whatever snake you choose!

/Dave

Bearacuda42

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:cool: I agree with Phil all the way corn hands down is right and the colors are just awsome soooooooooooo many to chose from and a perfect first time snake....

Iktomi

Arachnoservant
Old Timer
I'm going to pipe in here and recommend the Florida King. I love the color and everything else about them.

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by JBoyer
I am begining to get curious about keeping a snake but I am wondering of some of you experts could give me some advice on a good one to start with!

Thanks,
Jennifer

Ok Jennifer,
What did you get.. :p

Ernie

JBoyer

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I stillhave not decided for sure that I am going to get one. I have been doing lots of research and if I do get one it wont be until spring at least! I have to research and do more research before making any big decisions, and something that lives for a long time is a big decision. Once an animal comes into my house it doesn't leave until it dies! So everything takes time!

Thanks for all the great information, I will let you know when I make a decision.

Jennifer:D