Springtails?

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Are springtails actually used for feeding anything?

I'm asking because I'd like to write a thread on culturing them, but I don't know if I should because I don't know if they're used to feed small spiderlings or frogs or what, exactly.

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've read somewhere that dendrobates keepers use springtails to feed frogletts

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Tiny salamander species thrive on springtails. Young redback salamanders for example.

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
generally amphibians and anything too small to take pinheads

zinto

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Didn't you say to feed them to pseudoscorpions, Cheshire?

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Evil Cheshire said:

I'm asking because I'd like to write a thread on culturing them, but I don't know if I should because I don't know if they're used to feed small spiderlings or frogs or what, exactly.
I find them useful as scavengers in my pede and tarantula enclosures. In many ways they are better than isopods, as they have faster generations tmes, and are less obtrusive. I currently have about 8 species of collembola on the go for my PhD. What species are you keeping Cheshire?

Cheers,

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here's a few photo of my photos of Folsomia candida, taken down my labs stereo microscope with an Olympus c-5050.

And some Isotoma viridis and Isotomurus palustris

Normski2020uk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I also encrage there presence in my Scorpion enclosures to act as little house keepers. I will use any natural way of cleaning and keeping clean my enclosures and these are one in my arsnel

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Dart frogs and small mantid nymphs eat them.

I am getting some springtails next week, so a culturing guide would be appreciated. :)

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Wow Dan, those are great pics! Thanks for sharing them. I would love to hear how you culture them.

angus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hello Dan..

very nice pics there, never c the springtails so clear than your pics by my eyes....thx for share....

iturnrocks

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
How do you get them to hold still under the microscope. I always have springtails on the surface of the water in my aquariums, but Ive never been able to scoop one up cuz theyre always jumping.

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Evil Cheshire said:

Several species of fish would greatly benefit from springtails being used as food as when they hatch they are so small that normal fry foods don't work.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
OK...the thread should be ready by sometime next week. I'm going to make a second attempt tomorrow

Spaceman_Spiff

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Toxic Collembola!

Be careful about Folsomia candida as prey for spiders!
Several studies have shown, that this species is of very low nutritional value for wolf spiders or even toxic, especially for spiderlings!

See:
Fisker EN, Toft S
Effects of chronic exposure to a toxic prey in a generalist predator
PHYSIOLOGICAL ENTOMOLOGY 29 (2): 129-138 JUN 2004

or

Oelbermann K, Scheu S
Effects of prey type and mixed dites on survival, growth and development of a generalist predator, Pardosa lugubris (Araneae : Lycosidae)
BASIC AND APPLIED ECOLOGY 3 (3): 285-291 2002

They are easy to rear and have the right size for small spiders, but i wouldn't use them as food for any arachnid, just to be on the safe side!

Other Collembola species (e.g. Heteromurus nitidus, see Oelbermann and Scheu) were of good quality for spiders in feeding experiments, though!

greets
Bernhard