Spouse/S.O. Approval

Does your spouse/S.O. approve of your Tarantula Passion?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DanBsTs

Dan (Not Even Cool) the Man
My wife never fails to surprise me. The last tarantula I got (my 7th T)my wife says that this is the last one for a VERY long time. I had come to terms with this reality and was content. Two days ago she sees a P. Metallica on her FB feed and asks me what it is. I tell her. She says, "you should get that!". I think maybe she doesn't mean it. She is toying with my emotions perhaps. Nope. She says to me last night, "You can do what you want. They don't bother me anymore and they make you happy". This is progress. :D

Mithricat

Arachnosquire
Frankly I find that the most difficult thing for SOs to accept is the feeders and not the tarantulas :rolleyes::p

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
My wife never fails to surprise me. The last tarantula I got (my 7th T)my wife says that this is the last one for a VERY long time. I had come to terms with this reality and was content. Two days ago she sees a P. Metallica on her FB feed and asks me what it is. I tell her. She says, "you should get that!". I think maybe she doesn't mean it. She is toying with my emotions perhaps. Nope. She says to me last night, "You can do what you want. They don't bother me anymore and they make you happy". This is progress. :D
Wait did she just give you approval to get whatever you want?

Big mistake...we all know thats a one way street. :rofl:

DanBsTs

Frankly I find that the most difficult thing for SOs to accept is the feeders and not the tarantulas :rolleyes::p
Yeah my wife isn't too keen on roaches in the house lol

Wait did she just give you approval to get whatever you want?

Big mistake...we all know thats a one way street. :rofl:
I'm like a kid in a candy store lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
My husband's views have evolved over time:
  1. Initially, my husband didn't like spiders, because he assumed they were dangerous. He didn't go out of his way to kill them (unless they came inside); he just didn't like them.
  2. Gradually, I turned him around on that. He doesn't kill spiders that wander inside. If he spots one, he calls me to catch it and ID it, and he can even ID the common ones on his own now.
  3. He brought a female Kukulcania hibernalis home from work, and I started keeping it.
  4. I expressed some interest in getting a tarantula one day, but he wasn't all that keen on the idea.
  5. My first tarantula (Avicularia avicularia) was a surprise (a birthday gift). He wasn't opposed to it but wasn't particularly interested in it.
  6. He became more interested in it and would even want to feed it sometimes, but I still did the maintenance.
  7. I ended up with a few more tarantulas. At this point, I am interested in trying some other feeder options. Mealworms were OK, but absolutely no roaches!
  8. Now I also have dubia roaches, and he doesn't mind them. The main selling point was that they smell less and can't climb glass or fly.

Currently, he likes my tarantulas as long as I do the maintenance work. (He's not afraid of them; he just doesn't want to do maintenance work for my pets/hobby.) However, if I died, he would rehome the collection.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
I'm single so I don't have to worry about that. I do think it is probably best to start in the hobby before a status change, that way the SO is aware of what they will be walking into.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Well, when it comes to this kind of issues I have no problems except for one thing... my beloved wife and childrens are against arboreals.

The reason is this. Arboreal Theraphosidae are natural tree climber as we know, so, since my wife and my two kids (a bit unruly brat, and my daughter, intelligent but impertinent) are made of pure finest quality wood, they fear those.

This explain why I don't keep arboreals: because first thing first I'm called to be a good father and a devoted husband, as G-d wants :pompous:

DanBsTs

Well, when it comes to this kind of issues I have no problems except for one thing... my beloved wife and childrens are against arboreals.

The reason is this. Arboreal Theraphosidae are natural tree climber as we know, so, since my wife and my two kids (a bit unruly brat, and my daughter, intelligent but impertinent) are made of pure finest quality wood, they fear those.

This explain why I don't keep arboreals: because first thing first I'm called to be a good father and a devoted husband, as G-d wants :pompous:
Sounds like you have a family of Ents :lurking::p

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Sounds like you have a family of Ents :lurking::p
100% hand made here in Lombardy, from skilled wood artisans :pompous:

Think that every borderline fella and last but not least, a good dozen of 'Rust Belt' depressed husbands envy me, my happiness, and my loved family :)

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
I'm single and do what I want, but my mom opposes this heavily. My dad told her we're getting 5 new spiders for my birthday (courtesy of @cold blood) and she threatened to make him sleep on the couch and me in the backyard with the June bugs. She never told us we couldn't do it though;)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I'm single and do what I want, but my mom opposes this heavily. My dad told her we're getting 5 new spiders for my birthday (courtesy of @cold blood) and she threatened to make him sleep on the couch and me in the backyard with the June bugs. She never told us we couldn't do it though;)
Your mother seems a great, splendid woman! :)

Sykomp

Arachnopeon
My SO doesn't really like my T's but isn't really opposed either. I think she just likes seeing me so happy with my weirder hobbies and thus tolerates my enthusiasm - even if it means having to share this house with a few extra leggy things. (I mean she did admit that it helps a lot that my lovelies stay safely secured inside their enclosures...)

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
Your mother seems a great, splendid woman! :)
She really is, she just grew up in a poor family in Mexico where hygiene wasn't the same as here, and she had to be careful with any insects or arachnids that came into your house because if you got bitten there was no trip to the doctor, and they didn't want roaches in the house either.

Lekage

Arachnopeon
My wife tolerates them for my son. We're Up to 6 now and he wants more for his bday, or a scorpion. She said no to the scorpion, and i will have to agree to not inform her of my next order of.... My oldest daughter 16 was freaked out at first, now she is more interested and started spitting out some facts about various Ts, this surprised me alot. Oh yes I will get her to want one aswell, see the pretty P. Metallica.... muahahaha.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
My boyfriend loves spiders, so I'm set. He seems to prefer true spiders over tarantulas, but he's never told me I couldn't get one, and never gotten mad at me when I've gotten one without telling him. :angelic: I think at least part of it is that he trusts that I'm not going to get involved with anything I can't handle. Plus, I keep his rabbits at my house, so I like to think I have a bit of leeway with him :p

As with some others on here, he has a much bigger problem with the roaches than the tarantulas. I'm still allowed to keep them as pets and as feeders though. He does a pretty good job at putting up with all my shenanigans