Spinifer babies....= )

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
I picked up an "Emperor Scorpion" from a LPS (not sure why i had petco in there?)afew weeks ago, realizing then that it was most likley an H. spinifer. I thought it was probably gravid and caught her giving birth less than an hour ago. I counted five total and could see more coming. A first as far as asians for me, very cool. I threw a towel over her and will check up in a day or two. How big of a clutch can these ladies put out? Im about to yank the plug my communal mauritanicus setup due to agression. Maybe a planted spinifer colony would be in order....{D

Horrible shot of some of the babies.

Funny how a common invert can get you all excited when they pop some minions out on you....:razz:

Last edited:

bjaeger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nice, dude! Congrats on the new s'lings :D

Funny how most of these big pet shops don't know all that much about scorps.

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
I definatley wouldn't call this one "big"...lol. I honestly run into more know how at the local petco than our lPS's....:(

bjaeger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I meant in comparison to small, privately owned, pet stores :eek:

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
Thats what I meant too...lol. Its approx 800-1000 sq ft tops....lol. It is a private shop, Ive known the owner since i was about 11 as it is the only non corporate petstore in my old town, and one of two within about 20 miles, no joke. i like the owner as a person though, not so much a an ocean of critter knowledge....:)

bjaeger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's cool :)

I'm considering going to work for a local pet shop in a mall around here mainly for the Emps they have. They're keeping them in wood/bark chips and to top it off, they have a sponge in the water dish! I got my juvi emp in a very very very dry KK with wood chips (like particle board kind of). It's ridiculous what they don't know.

Anyway, best of luck to you with the babies! :D

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I picked up an "Emperor Scorpion" from petco afew weeks ago, realizing then that it was most likley an H. spinifer.
Looks more like H laoticus to me. Of course it is difficult to ID from pics

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
Looks more like H laoticus to me. Of course it is difficult to ID from pics
That would be cool. Ill admit the only reason I thought spinifer was the claw texture and shape. :razz: After her babies dispearse ill get some more shots, funny i just ragged on the petstore of ID.

Last edited:

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
I realized why you said that, confused me at first. I wrote petco in my first post....lol. I go there alot, freudian slip...:}

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
Holy s...corpions

I didn't think she would have this many. I heard the claws whacking plastic so I took a peek....wow. I counted 26, and there may be some under the others.

inverts

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Congratulations and good luck with that future colony.

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have had an unIDed Het birth 12 and another Het longimanus birth 51...

Congrate BTW.

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
Thanks guys.
51 is a ton of slings, she must of looked like a balloon!

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Congrats! I have a Het with babies too, don't know what species ...spinifer or longimanus. I think it's standard that the male is bigger than the female with whatever species the one I have is. You keeping the babies for a while?

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
Congrats! I have a Het with babies too, don't know what species ...spinifer or longimanus. I think it's standard that the male is bigger than the female with whatever species the one I have is. You keeping the babies for a while?
Thanks!
Yeah, Im going to hold onto most of them I think. I seperated my mauritanicus so I think im going to redo the 46 bowfront as a planted forrest setup and try a big community tank, or it may go to swammerdami that Ive been drooling at.