spiders in my house.

toxic667

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
so i found two rather large spiders in my house and thought they would be a nice addition to my T collection, i am well aware that they will not live as long as my ts. first I need someone to identify the species I found and second how i can feed them or whatnot thanks :D

SPIDER ONE:

SPIDER TWO:

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
First one is a Tegenaria, my guess would be a T. domestica. It's a little blurry, but it looks like a MM too.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
yeah, the big big one looks like it is a mature male. won't make that great of a pet... at least not for long =P

Pholcidae is one of my favorite spider families! they are one of the few that has learned the Gift of Simple Invisibility. supposedly because of the way that simple bug eyes work when the spider does their "vibrating" defense they turn invisible to most simple animals!

i mean... come on! how cool is that!?

toxic667

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yeah, the big big one looks like it is a mature male. won't make that great of a pet... at least not for long =P

Pholcidae is one of my favorite spider families! they are one of the few that has learned the Gift of Simple Invisibility. supposedly because of the way that simple bug eyes work when the spider does their "vibrating" defense they turn invisible to most simple animals!

i mean... come on! how cool is that!?
you mean the rocking back and forth wasnt my imagination? i accidentially sprayed its container when i sprayed my tarantulas and it started rocking back and forth like mad and didnt stop for like 2 mins and i just stood there confused as hell XD

as for food, what can i do to feed these little guys? Im not going to be able to buy any extra feeder food for them and right now they only have cricket water.

the white spider has made a web on the top of the container and is hanging upside down there :D

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
you should let the male go make more babies :p or find a female :)
give it moths your find outside hehe

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
you mean the rocking back and forth wasnt my imagination? i accidentially sprayed its container when i sprayed my tarantulas and it started rocking back and forth like mad and didnt stop for like 2 mins and i just stood there confused as hell XD
many spiders will rock back and forth as a response to some external stimuli. i've seen all sorts do this. orb weavers are the funniest to observe doing this b/c they seem to shake most violently. {D

toxic667

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
so i should let the big white one go?

heres pics of the other one (it decided to make a break for it and i spent 30 mins trying to catch it off my desk, was successful :D)

as for food i cant find any moths here...

Last edited:

ErikWestblom

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's the one they were talking about. That's a mature male Tegenaria sp., and it will do a lot better out of that jar, trying to find a female to mate with :)

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
^^ +1

Mature Male, note the cute little boxing gloves :)

i found a gravid orb weaver in my house here yesterday. sadly, i have nothing small enough to feed her. :p

The Spider Faery

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'm also in Ontario and found probably the same Tegenaria sp last night in my place but mine's a female. It built a web that I discovered by the baseboards. I noticed it out on the web and then it ran and hid inside the baseboards, so I threw it a bug from my window screen onto its web, and it was out in a flash to catch the bug. Within 4 strides it caught the bug and was back into the baseboards. So I threw it another bug from my window screen (hoping to catch it in the act of catching the bug) and it did the same thing...Disappeared before I had a chance to react. I can't believe how fast this spider is. If you blink, you miss it. I have no clue where it went. I removed the baseboards today and didn't see it anywhere. It think it's happily fed and has now moved on to somewhere it won't be disturbed, hopefully. ;)