spiderlings wont eat

PNTxLSTAR

Arachnopeon
Hello so i brought 2 spiderlings they have substrate and a little tub (recommended for spiderlings) and i also saw them on the dark den youtube channel they are very much alive one is very active and one isnt really but they dont eat ANYTHING, i bought bean weevils and they eaten them for the first few weeks now nothing ive fed or tried to feed them tiny tiny crickets with crushed heads and they dont eat them and ive also recently tried fruit flies and they just cover everything in webs and ofcourse i remove them and they are tiny ive never seen spiderlings so small like the size of a pin tack (drawing pin) and they have been like this for maybe 2 months both of the spiderlings i dont know what to do?

I have a chilean rose (she is gorgeous) and she has starved her self for weeks at a time and then been really hungry and has then eaten 4 completely fine

Do spiderlings starve themselves?

I can try posting a picture but my camera is not good enough to get a good pic any advice would be perfect thanks guys :)

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
They should be eating the pre killed prey if hungry.

You may be keeping them too dry or too moist. The pic doesn't need to be HD, just enough to see your setup.

Also, what species are they?

Sinned

Arachnosquire
They won't starve themselves, but if they had their "fill" they will "relax" and maybe even just hide/burrow and wait it out till their next molt.

I just experienced the same with my two Hapalopus sp Columbia "large" slings, they ate like *pigs* when they arrived. Then after 2-3 weeks they stopped. Now a week or two later, molt and "Bigger" T! (relative).

G. pulchra slings, same story. Finally molted and they are eating like champs again. I know now they will do that till they had their fill. Then it will probably be a month+ (If I'm lucky) before they consider molting again. Little bastards... ;)

they just cover everything in webs and ofcourse i remove them
Stop removing their webbing... It's like you are pulling of the roof of their houses, no worries if you *need* to when cleaning up a moldy feeder, but don't just do it to check on them. It just takes more energy from them to rebuild every time.

Pics would still be very helpful, just of the enclosure itself, even if you can't get it to focus on the slings themselves. What slings did you get? (Genus/species?)

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I can try posting a picture but my camera is not good enough to get a good pic any advice would be perfect thanks guys :)
Please post pictures of the slings and their setups, even if they are not great.

Do spiderlings starve themselves?
Slings will fast when they are in pre-molt. Pre-molt will be significantly shorter for slings than for large juveniles and adults, but they could fast for anywhere from a few days to a few weeks.

Signs of pre-molt (a single sign might not mean pre-molt, but if you are seeing multiple signs, it is likely pre-molt):
  • refuses food
  • seems more lethargic, skittish, or reclusive than normal
  • coloring looks drabber than normal
  • spontaneously shedding hair around its enclosure
  • seals itself into its burrow (do not disturb sign)
  • entire abdomen turns dark (not visible on larger tarantulas without a bald spot): will molt within a few days
  • makes a molting mat: will likely molt within a day
  • flips onto its back or side: it begins!

Another potential cause of fasting is dehydration.

If it's neither of these issues, try different feeders. I use tiny mealworms (or pieces of larger mealworms) for my slings.

Always crush the heads of any mealworms to prevent them from burrowing. I recommend leaving them overnight for the slings to find and scavenge. (Remove any uneaten prey the next day.)

PNTxLSTAR

Arachnopeon
Please post pictures of the slings and their setups, even if they are not great.

Slings will fast when they are in pre-molt. Pre-molt will be significantly shorter for slings than for large juveniles and adults, but they could fast for anywhere from a few days to a few weeks.

Signs of pre-molt (a single sign might not mean pre-molt, but if you are seeing multiple signs, it is likely pre-molt):
  • refuses food
  • entire abdomen turns dark (not visible on larger tarantulas without a bald spot): will molt within a few days

If it's neither of these issues, try different feeders. I use tiny mealworms (or pieces of larger mealworms) for my slings.

Always crush the heads of any mealworms to prevent them from burrowing. I recommend leaving them overnight for the slings to find and scavenge. (Remove any uneaten prey the next day.)
They won't starve themselves, but if they had their "fill" they will "relax" and maybe even just hide/burrow and wait it out till their next molt.

I just experienced the same with my two Hapalopus sp Columbia "large" slings, they ate like *pigs* when they arrived. Then after 2-3 weeks they stopped. Now a week or two later, molt and "Bigger" T! (relative).

G. pulchra slings, same story. Finally molted and they are eating like champs again. I know now they will do that till they had their fill. Then it will probably be a month+ (If I'm lucky) before they consider molting again. Little bastards... ;)

Stop removing their webbing... It's like you are pulling of the roof of their houses, no worries if you *need* to when cleaning up a moldy feeder, but don't just do it to check on them. It just takes more energy from them to rebuild every time.

Pics would still be very helpful, just of the enclosure itself, even if you can't get it to focus on the slings themselves. What slings did you get? (Genus/species?)

You may be keeping them too dry or too moist. The pic doesn't need to be HD, just enough to see your setup.

Im not to sure what ive done with this reply so im sorry

There abdomens are very dark a very dark brown maybe even black (they wasnt before)

I water them abit every 4 days or once a week if weather is cold its never to much so the whole thing is drowning just enough,

I dont disturb the webs they dont use it as a house or a bed and i dont destroy the webs i just remove the food

They dont burrow or dig

And they are Grammastola pulcheripes - choco golden knees
(Got them from spidershop uk)

Little Grey Spider

Arachnoknight
Im not to sure what ive done with this reply so im sorry

There abdomens are very dark a very dark brown maybe even black (they wasnt before)

I water them abit every 4 days or once a week if weather is cold its never to much so the whole thing is drowning just enough,

I dont disturb the webs they dont use it as a house or a bed and i dont destroy the webs i just remove the food

They dont burrow or dig

And they are Grammastola pulcheripes - choco golden knees
(Got them from spidershop uk)
Premolt. Grammostola pulchripes are usually great eaters otherwise. Still, can you post a pic of their set ups?

PNTxLSTAR

Arachnopeon
Premolt. Grammostola pulchripes are usually great eaters otherwise. Still, can you post a pic of their set ups?
I currently have a family member staying over he is staying in lounge will have to be later as its 2am sorry and so how long does premolt last? And anything i need to look out for or anything?

cold blood

Staff member
The smaller a spider is, the less food it needs to fill it up....once they get their fill, they wait to molt...it can be days, it can be months. A plump sling WILL darken significantly in pre-molt, with its abdomen turning black. The fact that they aren't burrowing is a blessing, it makes them easier to monitor and keeps them near food so they eat better...like yours did when you first got them before they filled up.

You have zero to worry about, you just need [more] patience.

As for your rose hair...they have the lowest food requirement of all tarantulas...you should only be feeding it once or maybe twice a month. Fasting is normal for them, it is NOT starving its self, it just doesn't need or want food. They can go a year or more without food.

ediblepain

Arachnosquire
My Grammastola pulcheripes fasted for 3ish months, and then molted. About 9 days after molting it ate again. Its totally fine.

PNTxLSTAR

Arachnopeon
My Grammastola pulcheripes fasted for 3ish months, and then molted. About 9 days after molting it ate again. Its totally fine.
The smaller a spider is, the less food it needs to fill it up....once they get their fill, they wait to molt...it can be days, it can be months. A plump sling WILL darken significantly in pre-molt, with its abdomen turning black. The fact that they aren't burrowing is a blessing, it makes them easier to monitor and keeps them near food so they eat better...like yours did when you first got them before they filled up.

As for your rose hair...they have the lowest food requirement of all tarantulas...you should only be feeding it once or maybe twice a month. Fasting is normal for them, it is NOT starving its self, it just doesn't need or want food. They can go a year or more without food.

• refuses food

Here is the Pictures sorry it took so long the 2 slings and then the chilean rose

What do you think? really sorry about quality

And could any of you confirm that the chilean rose is a chilean rose? As for some reason on my other questions i had when i first got her everyone doubted that it was even a rosea

Thanks so much :)

Attachments

boina

Lady of the mites
That was the most helpful reply i couldve ever asked for thanks :/
@ediblepain made a joke... why do you disagree with a joke? That makes no sense. It's impossible to estimate the age of an adult G. rosea.

Your slings seem to be in the ubiquitous European sling vials. So:

1. Poke more holes into the lids. Good ventilation is crucial.

2. I'd remove some of that moss - G. pulchripes doesn't need a lot of moisture and the moss just takes away valuable space the sling may need to molt.

3. They could very well be in premolt, especially if they've been eating before. Premolt can take a while, anywhere form a few days to several weeks. You can stop feeding if they are really fat, if not I'd still try prekilled once in a while.

PNTxLSTAR

Arachnopeon
@ediblepain made a joke... why do you disagree with a joke? That makes no sense. It's impossible to estimate the age of an adult G. rosea.

Your slings seem to be in the ubiquitous European sling vials. So:

1. Poke more holes into the lids. Good ventilation is crucial.

2. I'd remove some of that moss - G. pulchripes doesn't need a lot of moisture and the moss just takes away valuable space the sling may need to molt.

3. They could very well be in premolt, especially if they've been eating before. Premolt can take a while, anywhere form a few days to several weeks. You can stop feeding if they are really fat, if not I'd still try prekilled once in a while.
Jokes supposed to be funny arent they? Well that was hilarious :|
And thanks only one has laid webbing down the other has eaten the dead cricket ive just given it and the enclosure is clear and its really active and the one that has loads of webbing down has a black abdomen so maybe its in premolt thats why its not eating i will peirce a few more holes into the lid thanks again :)

TLSizzle

Arachnoknight
Lighten up my friend. I’m sure the joke was to help you calm down a bit or take your mind off worrying.
It sounds like it’s hard to age a T, let alone age one by the given pictures.
All I can tell is that it looks cute and fluffy.

PNTxLSTAR

Arachnopeon
Lighten up my friend. I’m sure the joke was to help you calm down a bit or take your mind off worrying.
It sounds like it’s hard to age a T, let alone age one by the given pictures.
All I can tell is that it looks cute and fluffy.
She's a juvenile i think shes abit small to be a adult i think and one question do u know what limit i should be feeding my tarantula? She just eats and eats and eats (adult crickets)

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
She's a juvenile i think shes abit small to be a adult i think and one question do u know what limit i should be feeding my tarantula? She just eats and eats and eats (adult crickets)
Juvinelles no more than one a week (Unless skinny)
Adults once a month.
Just go off abdomen size and use your own initiative.

PNTxLSTAR

Arachnopeon

*Update*
Thank you all for your advice after fasting for about 2 month both spiderlings have moulted within past 2 days they look bigger will feed them in about 5 or 6 days shame i couldnt witness it but oh well thanks again guys