Spiderling food

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yeah, if your careful because if they grab for the food and they feel the forceps, it'll jump back and not take it. I do it and it goes about 50/50 for me.

jharr

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I read somewhere about putting a piece of meat on the end of a knotted fishing line. When the T grabs the food, you pull out the line. No fuss no muss. Never tried it, but it sounds reasonable.

Lilija

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I read somewhere about putting a piece of meat on the end of a knotted fishing line. When the T grabs the food, you pull out the line. No fuss no muss. Never tried it, but it sounds reasonable.

That sounds like a good idea, but I don't know if I have the manual dexterity to lasso a cricket, even a dead one. The mental image is kinda amusing, though, hehe.

Generally speaking, I feed all my slings dead or almost dead pins, or even parts, if my pins are too big, and they seem to take well to it. It's rather cute seeing a 1/4" P. cambridgei chewing on a cricket leg.

Vermis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My experience is also that spiderlings and scorplings will take freshly-killed prey. I squash the head with tweezers - kills the bug and releases some juices (I have no idea if 'loose juice' actually attracts the slings, but it couldn't hoit). It was useful when I didn't have any pinhead crickets for tiny Euscorpius flavicaudis, and I think it might be useful again with a couple of Phlogiellus baeri (Phillipine Dwarf) slings that came this morning. :}

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Maybe ordinary house-fly maggots are small enough?

Either way, slings seem to really like sections of superworm (zoophoba).

Panchlora nivea nymphs are grand. They don't burrow all the time, or very deeply when they do, and they're not particulary fast or hard.

If there's one thing I dislike more than keeping crickets, it's messing with cricket bodyparts :p

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
flightless fruit flies, pieces of superworms, wax worms, silk worms, etc. and peices of crix. any or all of these will do fine! :D