Spider recommendations

tyler1998

Arachnopeon
I have an Exo Terra cage that’s 18x18x24, which is a pretty inconvenient size for really anything imo. I was wondering what types of spiders/tarantulas would do well in there. I’ve been really interested in buying a non-tarantula spider but can’t find any good information on it. I love spiders that spin webs like orb weavers or black widows (too bad I can’t buy one), they’re super fascinating to watch, and if I knew how to build a proper terrarium for one it would make a good project

The Seraph

Arachnolord
I have an Exo Terra cage that’s 18x18x24, which is a pretty inconvenient size for really anything imo. I was wondering what types of spiders/tarantulas would do well in there. I’ve been really interested in buying a non-tarantula spider but can’t find any good information on it. I love spiders that spin webs like orb weavers or black widows (too bad I can’t buy one), they’re super fascinating to watch, and if I knew how to build a proper terrarium for one it would make a good project
Why can't you buy orbweavers? Are they illegal in New Hampshire?

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That's not a bad cage to have! I have several of those. One has a fishing spider in it (Dolomedes okefinokensis), two contain whip spiders (Damon diadema), and one holds a Poecilotheria vittata.

It's a good size for arboreal tarantulas - if you concentrate the decor, cork bark, or fake plants toward the back, the spiders will spend most of their time back there and concentrate their webbing back there, so they should retreat to the back side of the cage when you open the doors for feeding or cage maintenance.

tyler1998

Arachnopeon
That's not a bad cage to have! I have several of those. One has a fishing spider in it (Dolomedes okefinokensis), two contain whip spiders (Damon diadema), and one holds a Poecilotheria vittata.

It's a good size for arboreal tarantulas - if you concentrate the decor, cork bark, or fake plants toward the back, the spiders will spend most of their time back there and concentrate their webbing back there, so they should retreat to the back side of the cage when you open the doors for feeding or cage maintenance.
What about a Poecilotheria Metallica? That’s what I originally wanted to get but most people told me it would die in a cage that big

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
What about a Poecilotheria Metallica? That’s what I originally wanted to get but most people told me it would die in a cage that big
What experience do you have with tarantulas so far? Depending on the size of the spider it can work. Would not recommend it for a sling/small juvie.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It depends on how big the spider is. You wouldn't want to put a sling in something that big because you'd never see it, it might have trouble finding food, and if it did die, you wouldn't even know it. But you could start a sling out in a small deli cup, work it up to a small Exo-Terra or similar, and then put it in the big cage as a large juvenile or subadult. That cage is perfect for an adult Pokie!

Have you kept tarantulas before? P. met isn't necessarily the best spider if you are just starting out. They are fairly expensive, insanely fast, and - being an old world species - have a fairly potent venom.

tyler1998

Arachnopeon
It depends on how big the spider is. You wouldn't want to put a sling in something that big because you'd never see it, it might have trouble finding food, and if it did die, you wouldn't even know it. But you could start a sling out in a small deli cup, work it up to a small Exo-Terra or similar, and then put it in the big cage as a large juvenile or subadult. That cage is perfect for an adult Pokie!

Have you kept tarantulas before? P. met isn't necessarily the best spider if you are just starting out. They are fairly expensive, insanely fast, and - being an old world species - have a fairly potent venom.
I have a green bottle blue that I’ve had since it was a sling but I want something more challenging. Either more challenging or more interesting to observe

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have a green bottle blue that I’ve had since it was a sling but I want something more challenging. Either more challenging or more interesting to observe
I have not kept P. metallica, but I do have a subadult P. vittata that I've raised from a tiny sling. He is absolutely gorgeous - for the 30 seconds or so that I get to see him, before he scurries off behind his dirt curtain and hides. I can't recall ever seeing him eat. While most of my spiders tackle their crickets immediately at feeding time, he waits until the lights are out and I've left the room before eating. He is never out during the daytime, but I can see him if I slip into the room late at night - at least briefly.

tyler1998

Arachnopeon
I’d also like to know what kind of tarantulas are communal, I’ve heard Poecilotherias can be if they’re raised together but I think that’s pretty controversial. Plus it would be an expensive spider to lose if they did get into a fight. The terrarium is pretty big though

The Seraph

Arachnolord
I’d also like to know what kind of tarantulas are communal, I’ve heard Poecilotherias can be if they’re raised together but I think that’s pretty controversial. Plus it would be an expensive spider to lose if they did get into a fight. The terrarium is pretty big though
Poecilotheria are not communal. M. balfouri is a species people have had great ease keeping communaly, though they are fossorials not suited for that enclosure.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Poecilotheria are not communal. Eventually, they'll start eating each other.

I don't know that any tarantula has been observed living communally in the wild, but Monocentropus balfouri can work as a communal, especially if you get sac-mates that have never been separated. (I would not even try to keep another species communally.)

That being said, communals are not recommended for beginners or even someone looking for a second tarantula.

If you're interested in Poecilotheria, a good stepping stone is Psalmopoeus. They are kept similarly, but the Psalmopoeus has less potent venom. That enclosure would be fine for a juvenile or adult Psalmopoeus.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Stick with NW for now, that would be my opinion. Sure you want something challenging, but it's also better to work your way up with faster moving NWs instead of jumping right into blindingly fast OWs that pack a potent bite. No tarantula has been documented to be 'communal', Monocentropus balfouri have been known to show communal behaviors. Others like Poecilotheria, Hystocretes, etc. are not as close to being 'communal' as M. balfouri as they have to be separated once they gain some size to avoid cannibalism. Any animal that you have to confine to small quarters to prevent them from eating each other proves they aren't communal, just tolerant.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I meant I can’t buy black widows haha. Unless you have a plug
Lots of people buy and sell many Latrodectus species. Look at the classifieds on here. You as the buyer are responsible for knowing your local laws regarding owning them.

There has not been a single tarantula species observed communally in the wild.

tyler1998

Arachnopeon
Lots of people buy and sell many Latrodectus species. Look at the classifieds on here. You as the buyer are responsible for knowing your local laws regarding owning them.
Really? Where could I find them? I bet a black widow would be less risky than a P. Metallica tbh, much less likely to bite and not as fast. And ya my enclosure would definitely be too large lol, but I’m fine not using it for a while.

Last edited by a moderator:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
18x18x24, which is a pretty inconvenient size for really anything imo.
Perfect size for many amphibians, and can be used for tarantulas too.

Poki's are pretty. They have also been documented in the medical literature to put grown men in the hospital, their venom can make your heart change its beating, not a good thing. Most serious keepers would not recommend this genus to anyone as a 2nd T.

Also, Ts as an animal aren't that interesting if you are looking for something that moves more etc. They can sit motionless for weeks, and are ambush predators. They aren't the most active.

Cage size- It won't die at all, however you'd have to make sure it would eat. Larger containers equals LOWERED prey/predator interactions for a few reasons.

1. Prey can hide more places
2. Most people do not add in enough prey items for larger containers
3. Ts are ambush predators, yes they do come out in hunt but this only happens when they detect movement.

In far smaller containers than above have I witnessed a T "enjoying" his/her time w/the its new cricket roommates.

Bigger tanks don't kill animals-- their owners lack of knowledge and/or poor husbandry kills animals in this case.

I have an AF GBB, and because she webs a lot, she's one of the most interesting and ACTIVE Ts I own. If that doesn't do it for you, honestly I doubt there's anything that will. I'm assuming of course that species specific methods of attacking a cricket are not of interest to you.

Either more challenging or more interesting to observe
see above

I’d also like to know what kind of tarantulas are communal, I’ve heard Poecilotherias can be if they’re raised together but I think that’s pretty controversial.
None have been documented by science. Poki's live a solitary life in a hole in very tall trees. Whatever you have seen or heard about "communal" Poki's is just people playing god w/the animals they SUPPOSEDLY care about.

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
Perfect size for many amphibians, and can be used for tarantulas too.

Poki's are pretty. They have also been documented in the medical literature to put grown men in the hospital, their venom can make your heart change its beating, not a good thing. Most serious keepers would not recommend this genus to anyone as a 2nd T.

Also, Ts as an animal aren't that interesting if you are looking for something that moves more etc. They can sit motionless for weeks, and are ambush predators. They aren't the most active.

Cage size- It won't die at all, however you'd have to make sure it would eat. Larger containers equals LOWERED prey/predator interactions for a few reasons.

1. Prey can hide more places
2. Most people do not add in enough prey items for larger containers
3. Ts are ambush predators, yes they do come out in hunt but this only happens when they detect movement.

In far smaller containers than above have I witnessed a T "enjoying" his/her time w/the its new cricket roommates.

Bigger tanks don't kill animals-- their owners lack of knowledge and/or poor husbandry kills animals in this case.

I have an AF GBB, and because she webs a lot, she's one of the most interesting and ACTIVE Ts I own. If that doesn't do it for you, honestly I doubt there's anything that will. I'm assuming of course that species specific methods of attacking a cricket are not of interest to you.

see above

None have been documented by science. Poki's live a solitary life in a hole in very tall trees. Whatever you have seen or heard about "communal" Poki's is just people playing god w/the animals they SUPPOSEDLY care about.
I agree 100% with you. I have housed all my slings in large enclosures since I started keeping tarantulas. Feeding has never been an issue for me even with large enclosures. You can clearly see where the sling is living and I use tongs to drop prey on or near hiding spot. Never had an issue or lost a sling in my years of keeping like this. Recent H.mac sling rehouse.

Attachments

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Really? Where could I find them? I bet a black widow would be less risky than a P. Metallica tbh, much less likely to bite and not as fast. And ya my enclosure would definitely be too large lol, but I’m fine not using it for a while.
I already said - Look in the Classifieds on here lol or Arachnid - Classifieds on Facebook, etc.

P. metallica are the smallest pokies... my adult female is maybe 5". She is in an 8x8x12 ExoTerra and it looks way too big for her.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
It's a good size for arboreal tarantulas
Maybe a fully grown P. ornata/rufilata (and I still think that's pushing it), I wouldn't put anything smaller in an enclosure that size.

I’d also like to know what kind of tarantulas are communal, I’ve heard Poecilotherias can be if they’re raised together
You heard wrong. Pokie communals always go to shit eventually.

M. balfouri is the only species that generally works in a communal and even that's not guaranteed to go off without a hitch.