spider puking??

armstrong82

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i have an a. versicolor that molted about 1 month ago. it has been eating regularly and has been somewhat active. i came home today and saw that it has this gooey white substance all around its mouth. it keeps moving its fangs like its cleaning itself or something. can anyone tell me what this goo is or might be???

Gir

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Someone posted a while back that their pinktoes get this when theyre really thirsty? Might try misting a bit and see if it drinks.

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
From what I've been reading in this place, white goo almost always = nematode infection. Quarantine your T and observe. If you don't breed your own feeders, it's possible that small amounts of , for instance, crickets that you buy were infected.

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Gir said:
Someone posted a while back that their pinktoes get this when theyre really thirsty? Might try misting a bit and see if it drinks.
Really? Im not challening you, but Im intrested in this. Can you find the post for me, I've never heard of that happening and I'd like to see if theres something going on I dont know about.

Good luck with your Avic. I hope it isn't nematodes. Isolate it untill you figure out whats going on. For your other T's saftey.

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
With avic's it's more lighty what used too be called "chalk mouth" (or goo mouth) no one's 100% what the causes it but they can come around from it and afaik never have it again my guess (and most other ppl i know) is its an infection of some kind that avic's seem prone too, but if in doubt still take the same kind of care as if it were nem's.

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
FryLock said:
With avic's it's more lighty what used too be called "chalk mouth" (or goo mouth) no one's 100% what the causes it but they can come around from it and afaik never have it again my guess (and most other ppl i know) is its an infection of some kind that avic's seem prone too, but if in doubt still take the same kind of care as if it were nem's.
I never knew about that. I'll have to do some looking up on avics it seems. Thx for the info guys.

coReY

Arachnopeon
This is a nematode attack on a small blondi.

..... bastards the blondi had to be executed :mad:

armstrong82

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
the goo on my avic didn't quite look like that. it almost looked like feces. but anyway, within 2 hours of noticing the goo, it was gone. also, this particular T has been in isolation from my other T's for no specific reason anyway, other that a space issue. the goo hasn't returned since i noticed it yesterday.

coReY

Arachnopeon
armstrong82 said:
the goo on my avic didn't quite look like that. it almost looked like feces. but anyway, within 2 hours of noticing the goo, it was gone. also, this particular T has been in isolation from my other T's for no specific reason anyway, other that a space issue. the goo hasn't returned since i noticed it yesterday.
Then you should be safe. Just keep it isolated and check it every once in a while, if youre really unlucky a nematode attack that isnt dealt with could take out all the spiders you have, noone wants to take that chance even if its unlikely that your goo is nematodes.

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Sometimes after eating a large amount, the tarantula will regurgitate some of its meal. In most cases it looks white and is quite a disturbing sight.
It might be food regugitation if the substance goes away. If I'm not mistaken, nematodes once present, do not disappear.

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
armstrong82 said:
Thats good to hear. It's never fun to hear about someone's T getting nematodes.

tarantula666

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i 've read some post about nematodes and how awfull this is
but isn't there a cure at all???? or a way to enlarge the infected T's chances of survival ??????????

in 17 years of caring for tarantula's i've never had one infected
( keeping my fingers crossed )

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
Glad to hear your spidy's ok. I've also learnt something new from this thread so thank you guys.

Kali

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
this is possibly just proof that A. avics will poo on anything! ;P

xelda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What kind of nematodes are we talking about? Did anyone actually examine them under the microscope?

tarantula_tom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Both my avic. and rosea have had this white goo around their mouths and fangs. Looks like oil based paint. But both dont have it anymore. My "white goo" observations doesnt look like the nemo. worms pic either. It is no where near that much. Just a tiny paste like line that looks like its been squeezed out of a tube, which is why i think of oil based paint.

MyNameHere

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
xelda said:
What kind of nematodes are we talking about? Did anyone actually examine them under the microscope?
Nematode infections are a relatively well-established ailment in the T-keeping hobby. However, as was mentioned, there's not a treatment or any way of increasing chances of survival once infection is recognised (as far as I know).

From what I understand they're typically seen in wild-caught T's or T's that are fed wild-caught insects. Can anyone verify that and/or elaborate?