Spider Imports

jen1302

Arachnopeon
Hi live in the UK and my partner is in US (Michigan) and i have a few spiders i would like to pass to him.

Does anyone know if there is any issues i need to know as i cannot find anything on any legal notes or best place to find out on paper work or costing anyone have any ideas.

KenTheBugGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
yes

You have to export to a port of entry. I do imports and can charge to do it for you but it is expensive. To do a proper import that is legal you need to expect to spend atleast 1000 dollars in import fees, shipping on plane, broker fees, fish and wildlife fees ect ect. it is not easy to get stuff into the US unless you ship illegally and if you are caught just shipping through the mail all the stuff can be confiscated and the people you are shipping too can be fined or even jailed for illegal importation of animals. Granted there are still people that do the illegal imports even with all of the problems it can cause. If you have any questions feel free to ask me info@kenthebugguy.com I do not mind giving out info for people.

jen1302

Arachnopeon
Thanks for getting back with a reply if do send over some spiders i have it would be legal, which is why i tried to find if any legal reasons and costing to do it with paper work above board.

With no joy what so ever i have mailed you.

If i am correct i know a friend who deals with import/export here in the UK so will ask if he could also give me any info on this and redtape.

james

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
imports

Like Ken said it can be done but it's expensive to do it legally.
1. Need annual import/export permit
2. Invoive
3. airway bill (most overseas flights are $400-$600 and you have to use a good carrier and pack well or you'll have frozen spiders.(also has to be a port of entry with F&w and customs facilities)
4. fill out all the proper paperwork (usually a broker) $200-$400 They need to process paperwork and clear customs
5. Fish and wildlife inspection $120
6. All the stress that everything goes perfect = better have a strong stomach.

Sometimes I see post online about people questioning prices by dealers. I don't think people really understand the amount of work and stress that goes into this. Not to mention you could buy 100 spiders and maybe only sell 10 and have to sit on the others, deal with deaths, etc... I honestly don't think ANYONE has ever or will ever get rich off spiders, unless your a breeders and very very good. I personally do it just so I can get some species I want that are not available in the US and offer some stuff others are looking for. Sometimes people bring stuff in illegally and sell it cheaper but legit dealers cannot control this. Anyway, you can sometimes get paperwork to carry them on a plane and it may be cheaper to pay us a visit.:)
James

KenTheBugGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
well

Like Ken said it can be done but it's expensive to do it legally.
1. Need annual import/export permit
2. Invoive
3. airway bill (most overseas flights are $400-$600 and you have to use a good carrier and pack well or you'll have frozen spiders.(also has to be a port of entry with F&w and customs facilities)
4. fill out all the proper paperwork (usually a broker) $200-$400 They need to process paperwork and clear customs
5. Fish and wildlife inspection $120
6. All the stress that everything goes perfect = better have a strong stomach.

Sometimes I see post online about people questioning prices by dealers. I don't think people really understand the amount of work and stress that goes into this. Not to mention you could buy 100 spiders and maybe only sell 10 and have to sit on the others, deal with deaths, etc... I honestly don't think ANYONE has ever or will ever get rich off spiders, unless your a breeders and very very good. I personally do it just so I can get some species I want that are not available in the US and offer some stuff others are looking for. Sometimes people bring stuff in illegally and sell it cheaper but legit dealers cannot control this. Anyway, you can sometimes get paperwork to carry them on a plane and it may be cheaper to pay us a visit.:)
James
Well Said!

jen1302

Arachnopeon
Had to ask as my sister is thinking over moving to the states and said if she does would i move also, which would be easier for me since my partner lives there and would be easier to see.

So was looking for answer if i decided to move over as i wouldnt want to sell or leave them in UK since iv'e put a fair bit into them and there my babies.

As for costing to send them over if came to it the cost would not be a problem as iv'e pretty much put that amount into them already and i would do everything legal and any paper works that need to be done.

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i know they are your babies, but it would probably be cheaper and way less stressful just to restart a collection once you have moved here to the states :)

KenTheBugGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
ah

Had to ask as my sister is thinking over moving to the states and said if she does would i move also, which would be easier for me since my partner lives there and would be easier to see.

So was looking for answer if i decided to move over as i wouldnt want to sell or leave them in UK since iv'e put a fair bit into them and there my babies.

As for costing to send them over if came to it the cost would not be a problem as iv'e pretty much put that amount into them already and i would do everything legal and any paper works that need to be done.
well if you are flying here there is an easier way I believe to do that ....they fly with you in cargo bay...but don't know how to do that exactly.