Spider ID..

james41777

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The spider was found in Stein Vally, BC, (canada..)
Replacing its first-left leg, it recently molted..really amazing with the regeneration thing!
Anyway.. can anyone Id this spider?

Last edited:

KUJordan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
it is indeed a Lycosid, but it'll be tough to ID to genus or species. Great spider though!

james41777

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
thanks alot for the answer!
oh by the way, the size is about 1.5 cm

NRF

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It certainly doesn't give me the Lycosid. I think it more looks like Agelenidae. Don't know the sp. or genus though.

NRF

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
There is something Gnaphosidish over it as well. Would it be possible to get a close up of the eyes of the second pic?

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't see the Gnaphosid like spinnerets in the first pic... I don't have any better guess though. :?

NRF

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Me too:?
I hope someone can figure it out.

james41777

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'll get a close up pic soon when I get the camera!
Thanks for all the answers!

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I looked into Zoridae becuase I thought it was an excellent idea. They are characterized by two strongly recurved rows of eyes, and judging by the picture I don't see this. Also the front of the cephlathorax looks slightly wrong. However, if it is Zoridae, by locality it is one of four speices:

Katadysas pumilus Hentz, 1850
Catadysas pumilus Thorell, 1869

Anyone know what is going on with the two species listed above? Described 19 years apart by two different people with only one letter difference?

More likely to be a Zora...

Zora pumila
Zora spinimana

However, it dosen't look like Zora spinimana!!

I'm not ruling out Zoridae but until we get a better pic of the eyes..... hard to say.

Does anyone know any genera of Gnaphosids that don't display the normal conical and easily seen spinnerets?

james41777

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
thank u all for the identification.
I don't have the really good camera..
I might be able to get it tomorrow.
Sorry abou the delay with pix.
thank you
-james

NRF

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I looked into Zoridae becuase I thought it was an excellent idea. They are characterized by two strongly recurved rows of eyes, and judging by the picture I don't see this. Also the front of the cephlathorax looks slightly wrong. However, if it is Zoridae, by locality it is one of four speices:

Katadysas pumilus Hentz, 1850
Catadysas pumilus Thorell, 1869

Anyone know what is going on with the two species listed above? Described 19 years apart by two different people with only one letter difference?

More likely to be a Zora...

Zora pumila
Zora spinimana

However, it dosen't look like Zora spinimana!!
I'm not ruling out Zoridae but until we get a better pic of the eyes..... hard to say.
Does anyone know any genera of Gnaphosids that don't display the normal conical and easily seen spinnerets?
According to Platnick Katadysas pumilus Hentz, 1850 = Zora pumila (Hentz, 1850), and it is now placed in Zora. There seem to be no such species as “Catadysas pumilus Thorell, 1869”, at least not in Zoridae.

Of Zoridae I only know Zora, and I don't think this one looka like Zora, and I agree that it is not Zora spinimana. And if at the loc. in question only have four Zoridae which in fact are only two Zora spp., my conclusion is that it aint no Zoridae.
Waiting for more comments...:?

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I photoshop zoomed in on the eyes and the don't look like Zoridae. Thanks for the taxonmic info on Zora spp. With that combined info I think we can rule out Zoridae now. How are we sure it isn't some weird Lycosid genus?

Last edited:

NRF

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I photoshop zoomed in on the eyes and the don't look like Zoridae. Thanks for the taxonmic info on Zora spp. With that combined info I think we can rule out Zoridae now. How are we sure it isn't some weird Lycosid genus?
The eyes, my friend, the eyes. :)

Spaceman_Spiff

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hallo,

Now, with the second picture i'm quite convinced that it's an Agelenid, Agelena sp.
  1. , note that the posterior median eyes are behind the posterior lateral eyes (recurv), in Zorids and Gnaphosids it is vice versa.

cheers
    Bernhard

NRF

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hallo,

Now, with the second picture i'm quite convinced that it's an Agelenid, Agelena sp.
  1. , note that the posterior median eyes are behind the posterior lateral eyes (recurv), in Zorids and Gnaphosids it is vice versa.

1. The posterior row of eyes can be either recurved, procurved or straight in Gnaphosidae. Anyway I can't really figure out which Gnaphosid genus would look like this. My first impression was also Agelenidae. But what species, what genus??? Rather short spinnerets. The specimen looks kind'a strange. :?
    May be we should try it on Bugguide and see if anyone of the arachnophils there can give us some clues.

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I definitley agree with the spinneretes not being nearly long enough or apparent enough to be an Agelinidae. Just by the looks of it it seems to be some sort of ground spider. I'm still not sure what kind of Gnaphosid wouldn't show those characteristic spinnerets though. We've also ruled out Zoridae.... :? :? :? I'll be hitting the new Guide to North American Spiders today for inspiration.

Spaceman_Spiff

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't want to press my opinion here, but this is ridiculous!
We can all agree that the spinerets are not really visible on these two pictures, so how do you rule out Agelenidae and on the other hand say it looks gnaphosidish?
I think the habitus fits and i've seen similar patterns on the ophistosoma of both genera Agelena and Tegenaria.

By the way, the spinerets are much more conspicuous in Gnaphosidae than in Agelenidae IMO!

some links to Agelena sp. pictures

http://liboupat2.free.fr/Araignee/agelene.htm
http://www1.gantep.edu.tr/~varol/tr/A.lab.htm

greets
Bernhard

NRF

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have not ruled out anything but Lycosidae and Zoridae. This one required a lot of loud thinking. My first impression, Ageleindae, was right. It's a Novalena intermedia, an Agelenid with rater short spinnerets. :worship:

http://www.johnmuirlaws.com/port-spiders.htm