spider ID, possible wolf

Gnat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i was out hunting scorps and came across this monster. its just over 3 inches leg span, body is 1 inch in length. it was laying flat on the log i found it on with its front legs out stretched in an X pattern. 2 front left parallel and touching, 2 front right same its rear legs were separated and arched up a bit. its kind of fuzzy, not hairy like a T but has hairs. i live in central Georgia and found it on a fallen pine log in a mixed pine/hardwood forest. any help would be great.

Gnat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
are you sure its a fishing spider? i found it about a half a mile from the nearest creek.

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Fisher indeed. The name is misleading. Dolomedes can be found just about anywhere.

ErikWestblom

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yup, I'm sure. Eye pattern is a perfect match :) Not sure about species though, but kinda looks like albineus, that's the only one with "furry" legs I think.

Gnat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ok after looking at some pics of various Dolemedes i think it may be a Dolomedes albineus, at least thats what im going to go with. thanks for the help with the ID!
edit: just read on wikipedia D. albineus are one of the few that dont live near water and im in the right geographic area for it

Last edited:

TheTyro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Absolutely gorgeous! :drool:

She almost looks like a barn spider with all that leg spiking. My Dolomedes may be huge, but D.albineus is beautiful.

Gnat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
keeping?

ive decided to keep this spider. it has eaten 2 full size cricks in my care, although it is in the same container photo'ed in. what sort of care would you recommend? i havent found anything on Dolomedes albineus care on here or the web. what size/type enclosure is recommended?

Kevbug

Arachnopeon
maybe a 5 gallon with some water in it and what not so it has some room to roam :)

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Dolomedes arent really roamers. Like yeah ,she might go web around somewhere in the container, but usually not. Careful she might end up fancying the top of the cover, so be careful ^^
As long as food is provided in the enclosure she will be happy. Don't forget a little waterdish made froma bottle cap hehe