Spider ID plz. (it cant climb smooth surfaces if that helps)

bhamgreg

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Found this in my bathroom last night. these are the best pictures I could get and as I said it cannot climb walls or anything fairly smooth. It was found in central alabama.

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'd say this might be a male mygalomorph of some kind (looks like it has the forward-facing chelicerae characteristic of this group). Possibly one of the Antrodiaetidae (foldingdoor trapdoor spider). Antrodiaetus unicolor occurs in your area. Also, the size is about right, compared with the penny in the last picture. Do you still have the spider? Can you see any hardened plates or sclerites on the forward area of the back of its abdomen?

Last edited:

bhamgreg

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
if by sclerite you mean hardened body parts then cephlothorax is indeed hardened and looks much like the carapace of my emperor scorpions in texture, while the abdomen is much softer in appearance.

also after a quick google of Antrodiaetus unicolor I would say this is definantly one. Every single feature is identical down to the eye placement.

I'm fairly certain and satisfied that you two have positively ID'd it. Thank you

lhystrix

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Actually it is Myrmekiaphila, an adult male. It might even be M. neilyoungi, but the are a few species in AL, foliata being the most widespread.

Hopefully Brent will chime in.

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
if by sclerite you mean hardened body parts then cephlothorax is indeed hardened and looks much like the carapace of my emperor scorpions in texture, while the abdomen is much softer in appearance.

also after a quick google of Antrodiaetus unicolor I would say this is definantly one. Every single feature is identical down to the eye placement.

I'm fairly certain and satisfied that you two have positively ID'd it. Thank you
I'd hold off on that postive ID, especially since you said the abdomen was softer. I take that to mean there were no sclerites, which rules against Antrodiaetus.

Now that I take a closer look at the pictures, I agree with Jeff H. that Myrmekiaphila sp. (Cyrtaucheniidae) is a better possibility. Two characteristics of this spider are evident in the pictures. In the first photo you can see a transverse (side to side) thoracic furrow. In Antrodiaetus that furrow is more longitudinal (front to back).

Also, in both the top and bottom pictures the metatarsus (second joint from the end) on leg I looks like it might be slightly bent or indented if you look closely. Check out this picture of A. unicolor: http://bugguide.net/node/view/153295/bgpage The metatrsis of leg I is straight, and not bent or indented as it appears it might be in your spider.

The range is right, too. Myrmekiaphila is in the eastern US.

To be more general, what you seem to have is a male trapdoor spider that was out wandering around in search of a mate. They do that at this time of year. I recommend that after you're done with it you release it outdoors so it can go on its way and fulfill it's connubial duties. :)

Last edited:

lhystrix

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for the second, jsloan, but as mentioned, it is an adult male Myrmekiaphila, rather than a possibility.
Now there is a possibility Brent may recognize the species without having to have the spider in hand, although the images are probably too poor in quality.

bhamgreg

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well one way or the other its a genus of trap door spider. So that at least tells me what kind of environment i need to set up in a small enclosure.

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It's a beautiful spider. Being a mature male I'm not sure it'll dig a burrow now or not, if you try and keep it. It's his "Amok Time" right now. He is compelled to find a female and mate. I wouldn't be surprised if his lifespan is about over.

You're fortunate to live where you do and find these wonderful spiders at this time of year. There is snow on the ground where I am and I probably won't see another spider outside until mid to late March!

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well one way or the other its a genus of trap door spider. So that at least tells me what kind of environment i need to set up in a small enclosure.
No, you should let it go. Not only would you be depriving it a chance to breed but also you would force it to live out its life in a confined space where it probably would not even burrow.

bhamgreg

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
its only staying with me for a short time the weather outside is obviously what drove it indoors. It'll be released on a warmer day up at a nearby preserve like all the other critters i find. oh and its already made itself a nice lil burrow and eaten 2 crickets so far.

bhamgreg

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
there is a balled up piece of dirt about half the size of a marble over the entrance with a small bit of the burrow exposed. i,ve got him in a container with some peat moss and seems content with it.

bhamgreg

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
apparently that burrow wasnt good enough because hes making a new one right now.