spider ID pleeze

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Plenty of big burrowing wolves wandering the forest floor last night. Found this guy, but not sure what it is. At first, I was pumped that it could be Hogna carolinensis. But not convinced. It's a decent size male, maybe the match to the large dark female H. georgicola in my area. Then male Dolomedes even crossed mind. Pics are bad, the abdomen has black spots ventral side, sternum and coxa are black, pedipalps are swollen and jet black. Faint yellow stripe down center of carapace.
Locality, Indiana. Any ideas? SCROLL DOWN FOR CLEARER PHOTOS :)

Last edited:

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My first impression was H. carolinensis also. But can you get a clearer picture of the top, especially the abdomen?

toolrick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey there... first of all the pictures aren't good enough to see what it is.
I can see the spider climbing on the plastic conainer???
If that is the case, neither Dolomedes or Wolf spiders can do that. It should be other specimen, but without good pictures it's worthless the try.

Ricardo

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The spider isn't climbing, the container is tipped somewhat. I appreciate the replies! Try to get some better pics soon.

Last edited:

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Pretty leggy for a wolf, isn't it? Even for a mm? I'd guess some sort of Dolodomes but I know nothing about their range or anything, just that they look like big, long legged wolf spiders.

toolrick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
@loxoscelesfear.

I am talking about the first picture, not the second one... Please let me know because it seems like it can climb on smooth surfaces.

Ricardo

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think I see ceiling, not wall in the background of that first pic. That could be what he means by "tipped somewhat".

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
best i can get pic-wise...it's a friggin' fisher isn't it? i want carolinensis grrrrrrrrrrr

Last edited:

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That's no fisher!! You have a Carolina! :D

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDDDDDEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!! Really? Awesome! Been searching for a decade and was about to just order a few online. Where is mommie wolf? Soon as the sun sets, head lamp is going on and I am off !! Thanks for the ID.

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDDDDDEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!! Really? Awesome! Been searching for a decade and was about to just order a few online. Where is mommie wolf? Soon as the sun sets, head lamp is going on and I am off !! Thanks for the ID.
Hey, no problem! That's definitely what it is. Just be sure to post pics of momma Carolina when you nab her!! :D Congrats on the find.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
really? looks NOTHING like my MM carolinensis. i know there are color variations, but... i would still expect there to be at least bands underneath, and maybe orange chelicerae (although in some it's very faint).

nice MM either way.

here's mine for comparison:

Last edited:

toolrick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Can you take a close picture showing the eye patern?
I am still unsure if it is a wolf.

Ricardo

BiologicalJewels

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What parameters where used in order to determine it was a carolina wolf?
It really doesn't look like any H. carolinensis I've ever seen.

Oscar R

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As for the chelicerae, none of the pics even show them.

H. carolinensis has quite a range of coloration variations.

The abdominal pattern matches. The size matches. The geographical location is good. The carapace looks right. Overall tawny color is very much within the carolinensis color palette.

But remember, this is a male. So it's not going to exactly match a female.

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The geographical location is good.
What's your source for this? I've checked and couldn't find any reliable evidence or source for H. carolinensis being found in Indiana.

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You have a reason to think they're not in Indiana? They're pretty much all over the eastern 2/3s of the USA. They have been found in Michigan and Ohio, and so are definitely in the Mid-west.

http://www.marion.ohio-state.edu/SpiderWeb/ProvisionalSpiderList.htm

http://www.canadianarachnology.org/data/spiders/17962

According to Bugguide.net, H. carolinensis is in

AL, AR, CO, CT, DE, FL, GA, IA, IL, IN, KS, LA, MA, MD, ME, MI, MO, MS, NC, NE, NH, NJ, NM, NY, OH, PA, RI, SC, TN, TX, UT, VT, WI; ON, PQ

http://bugguide.net/node/view/3381