Spider hunting behaviour?

Veles

Arachnobaron
Pics?
Sorry I just love these guys I'm surprised that yours only took this long to make a web if your lucky and get just the right setup She get might make a good radial web with little spokes but mine certainly hasn't done that
Well i mean,she did make the tube.
But she hasnt layed out the signal strings yet.

The wolf

Arachnolord
Well i mean,she did make the tube.
But she hasnt layed out the signal strings yet.
They tend to not make the signal lines unless they are on a completely flat surface I have had mine since around September last year and I've still got no semblance of trip lines

Mjb30

Arachnosquire
My favourite hunter would be my Linotheles megatholoides. It moulted at the beginning of March when I was away for a week and her size makes her even more impressive (around 2”/5cm DLS).

So, two hunting modes I’ve witnessed. With smaller prey it moves like lightening around her web and latches straight on. Certainly quicker than any Ts I’ve seen in feeding vids, it teleports straight on in a flash! Truly impressive.

The second mode seems to be with larger prey (large crickets) where by it will turn, facing the prey in the web and then waits. It looks like it senses it’s a largest prey and so moves more cautiously. It moves in stages towards it and will then wait quite near it, maybe 1cm away. Then finally, normally I don’t witness it, it grabs it!

Really great to watch both modes but the first is so, so impressive. I’m definitely going to get a L.fallax at some point as well, I love the genus!

The wolf

Arachnolord
I saw this study people had done in one of my more academic spider books and i found it really interesting I will try and find it to send a pic

basin79

ArachnoGod
I know it's the "standard" spider hunting using a web but this lass was fantastic.

The wolf

Arachnolord
Well,i will wait a bit and see what she does.

Awww.

Anyway,found this video with s.blackwalli
The other one never stood a chance its like she bowed down to the superior s.blackwalli

I know it's the "standard" spider hunting using a web but this lass was fantastic.

Absolutely Fantastic I love these guys

Last edited by a moderator:

Veles

Arachnobaron
I had no idea they had different tactics based on their prey items,like how do they even know if it's a grasshopper or a fly
Likely from the type of vibrations and the moves the prey is making.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Wolf spiders on the other hand have great eyesight and rely on speed to catch their prey.
You are quite correct. I snagged a juvenile wolfer this week (one of two to choose from in my house that morning) and put it in an empty enclosure. I love watching the voracious little devils. The experience is truly akin to observing a scaled down terrestrial tarantula. "Wolf spider" is VERY apropos, as in lone wolf.

Veles

Arachnobaron
You are quite correct. I snagged a juvenile wolfer this week (one of two to choose from in my house that morning) and put it in an empty enclosure. I love watching the voracious little devils. The experience is truly akin to observing a scaled down terrestrial tarantula. "Wolf spider" is VERY apropos, as in lone wolf.
Errr, not quite.
Terrestrial tarantulas, and tarantulas of all kinds at large have very bad eyesight.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Errr, not quite.
Terrestrial tarantulas, and tarantulas of all kinds at large have very bad eyesight.
Err, nowhere did I compare their differing visual capacities between theraphosidae and lycosidae. My equation was, as stated, the "voracious" hunting style exhibited by both. Let's not read into things.

Veles

Arachnobaron
Err, nowhere did I compare their differing visual capacities between theraphosidae and lycosidae. My equation was, as stated, the "voracious" hunting style exhibited by both. Let's not read into things.
My bad then.
Albeit for me its more fun to see wolf spider hunt than a tarantula.

The wolf

Arachnolord
My bad then.
Albeit for me its more fun to see wolf spider hunt than a tarantula.
Depends on the sp on both ends an I.mira is more fun than a pardosa amenta but a pirata pirata piraticus or hogna carolensis is more entertaining than a b.emilia