Southern Alligator Lizard

Jay Sav

Arachnopeon
This is our Southern Alligator Lizard (Elgaria multicarinata). My 2 1/2 year old daughter found her a while back and Dada caught her. Its amazing what advantages being so low to the ground has. We named her Kahless. She has the longest tail I've ever seen on one of these and is a beauty to behold. I've only had my hands on her the day I captured her. I don't want to ruin a bond between us. She's now eating off of tongs and I hope to hand feed her in the near future. We are taking it at her pace. She calls the shots :)

20171008_001357-1.jpg

keks

Arachnobaron
That's a very beautiful lizard, congrats to your little daughter to her find! :)

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Beautiful! I absolutely love my little alligator lizard - but I don't think I'd try feeding it by hand. I've seen the way it goes after prey - sometimes it misses the roach and grabs the tongs instead and does not want to let go! I found mine while out hiking - it was lying in the middle of the path (which is also frequented by mountain bikers) and wasn't moving at all. At first I thought it was dead, but when I picked it up it moved just a bit. I think it was just cold. Once I brought it home, warmed it up, and gave it food and water, it transformed into the delightfully vicious predator that it is today - and I haven't touched it since!

Jay Sav

Arachnopeon
Beautiful! I absolutely love my little alligator lizard - but I don't think I'd try feeding it by hand. I've seen the way it goes after prey - sometimes it misses the roach and grabs the tongs instead and does not want to let go! I found mine while out hiking - it was lying in the middle of the path (which is also frequented by mountain bikers) and wasn't moving at all. At first I thought it was dead, but when I picked it up it moved just a bit. I think it was just cold. Once I brought it home, warmed it up, and gave it food and water, it transformed into the delightfully vicious predator that it is today - and I haven't touched it since!
Kahless is surprisingly, quite gentle for an alligator lizard. She barely struggled when captured, didn't try to bite and didn't poop on me. She's also eating off the tongs like she has table manners or something..it's weird. When eating on her own, it's a different story. I wish I knew how old she is..I'm assuming pretty young considering this species drops their tail SO easily.