South-central U.S. Aphonopelma: Type localities on Google Maps

AR-Tarantula

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have constructed a Google map depicting the published type localities of all Aphonopelma species described from the south-central United States (Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Texas).

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=...7.839076,-92.8125&spn=28.115577,39.418945&z=5

Motivation you ask? I am moving from central Arkansas to central Texas in the next two weeks and will pick up work on Aphonopelma there - thought I would map them out to give me an idea of the current situation.

Locations are approximate and based on information from Chamberlin (1940) and Smith (1995). Most specimens lack highly specific collection data, with almost all simply bearing the city/county from which they were collected. Clcik on a map icon for more information about that species.

Red icons represent multiple individual species.
Blue icons represent A. hentzi localities.
Purple icons represent A. odelli localities.
Yellow icons represent A. moderatum localities.
Green icons represent A. anax localities.

Species not mapped due to lack of collection data are:
Aphonopelma mordax
Aphonopelma steindachneri
Aphonopelma texensis

Chamberlin R.V. 1940. New American tarantulas of
the family Aviculariidae. Bulletin of the
University of Utah 30(13):1-39.

Smith A.M. 1995. Tarantula spiders: tarantulas of the U.S.A. and Mexico. London: Fitzgerald
Publishing. 200 p.

*Check out Harlingen, Texas. Three different species of Aphonopelma have been listed from there. A real hot bed of speciation! This is why the genus is such a mess.

Last edited:

Harlock

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
There is also belhei in NM (I'd have to find my collection data for the exact lat x long) and waconum from...well Waco county Texas. I've found what we think is a Henzi in Travis county Texas.
Awesome work/idea though.